Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Snow Damage and Flax

Posted by violet_sky z8 Portland OR (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 21, 09 at 1:32

My poor garden was left unprotected from the snow last month. We'd planned a three week trip back to the east coast over the holidays. We left on Dec. 13 - it started snowing on the 14th and didn't let up for two weeks! No one expected this kind of weather. Normally we don't get a lot of snow as we're at a very low elevation (200 ft) so even if we get a dusting the plants are fine. I did a good job with my fall clean up and mulched really well so most of the plants are okay.

However my poor New Zealand Flax are a brown flattened mess! I'm so heart sick about this as they are huge focal points in my garden. What can I do to help them come back to life? They used to be about 6' tall and now they're just slumped over a few inches off the ground. Should I wait till spring and cut back the broken leaves? Will they come back? Should I dig them up and replace them (I'd *really* rather not do this if I can help it.) Will they come back on their own? Halp!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Snow Damage and Flax

Depending on the variety and your soil conditions, they could come back. The mountain flax, Phormium cookianum, and the hybrids that have a lot of this parentage tend to be pretty darn cold hardy as long as they are provided with very good drainage.

I'd wait until a bit later in the season, then gently tug on a few of the interior fronds. If they come away easily, you've probably lost the plant and will need to dig and remove. If they offer good resistance, chances are good the roots are sound and the plant will recover. Cut back any damaged fronds then or you can cut the whole thing back to about 4-6". It won't look very good for a couple of seasons but it should come back OK.

o
RE: Snow Damage and Flax

Thanks for responding. I've got two different varieties all planted in areas with good drainage. I've got a hardier variety planted in the hell strip and they came out with some frond damage but are still very much upright. The more delicate flax I planted next to the house and partially under an eve, it gets a lot more protection but apparently not enough. Those are the one's that look much the worse for wear! It makes me sad because they *just* reached maturity. I've waited four years for them to get that big!

I think they'll be okay (maybe) I'll have to go out and tug at them a little bit and clip all their dead leaves off. I hope they can recover... guess I'll have to wait another three or four years for them to get that big again, eh? ::sad::

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here