Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The Perfect Tree

Posted by victoriannoire 7b (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 19, 10 at 2:21

Hello all! I figured you guys would be the best to get suggestions from.
I have moved into a new house and i really want to plant a container tree outside my door. My doorway area gets very little sun, but is very protected. Since it is right in front of my house I want something that is going to provide year round interest, but I am not particularly interested in evergreens.
I hear witch hazel is amazing in the winter time, but would it suit this specifications...is there anything else I should look into when I am tree shopping over the next couple weeks?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Perfect Tree

How wide and how tall do you want it to ultimately get?
Witch hazels get pretty wide, how much room do you have where you want this?
Will you be changing out to a different plant if/when it gets too big for the container?
How big a container do you have/want?

o

Edgeworthia chrysantha?

Has cool structure and late winter flowers. Nice foliage in summer. Very easy to keep in check. Tolerates full shade, flowers just about as well in full sun or full shade.

Just shape it as a tree. Should reach 8 feet in a few years.

o

Hi There! I too, live in Nanaimo! Hope to be at the Seedy Saturday this year.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 20, 10 at 2:20

Hamamelis are mostly shrubby, usually forking near the ground. But as mentioned these are not small-growing, one near Kent was measured recently over 30' tall.

You could certainly grow one in a tub for some years, but more space would be required for long term development.

Size can be controlled somewhat by shortening most recent shoots right after bloom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here