Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lychee in PNW

Posted by yaslan (botumsek@hotmail.com) on
Sat, Jan 16, 10 at 3:33

I was just wondering if there is anyone in the PNW that is just as crazy I am when it comes to growing tropical fruit trees here. Or if anyone in fact has grown a lychee tree or other tropical fruits here and has gotten it to bear fruit. I would be very interested to hear from you and ask a thousand questions on how you accomplished this most admirable feat!

I am painfully aware, that tropical fruit trees might not survive, thrive or fruit here...*sighs* But despite this enormity, I am determined to grow lychees.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lychee in PNW

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 16, 10 at 12:20

Sorry, not a prayer. Description in Sunset Western Garden Book implies it's not completely happy even in southern California.

My great grandmother had one shading part of her yard.

In Honolulu.

o

Hi,
bboy is right. It's not going to make it. A couple of years ago I was able to germinate a few seedlings from seeds of the fruits I bought from China town. I was so excited. They grew for about 6 inches or so outside during summer and then died. Just like that. So that's my experience. Perhaps you could do in a temperature/humidity controlled greenhouse?

o

While I respect your opinions I disagree wholeheartedly.

I've seen people in PA grow lychees and they do bear fruit. As long as you create the right conditions they will thrive beautifully.

o

Maybe you should ask the folks in PA....?

I've attached a link for you to review......seems pretty darn thorough to me and Purdue is generally recognized as providing accurate horticultural info. This is a semitropical plant and requires a semitropical climate. I'd direct you specifically to the part that states: There are only a few scattered trees in the West Indies and Central America apart from some groves in Cuba, Honduras and Guatemala. In California, the lychee will grow and fruit only in protected locations and the climate is generally too dry for it. There are a few very old trees and one small commercial grove. emphasis mine

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing lychees

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 16, 10 at 20:50

Frost + Litchi = death.

o

@ gardengal48, thanks for the info.

@ bboy, your assumption is brilliant.

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 17, 10 at 0:09

There are home growers with fruting trees in coastal influenced parts of San Diego and Los Angeles, and I know of a grower in the central valley town of Modesto who has gotten Lychee to fruit and grow, even with the occasional frost and assumed too cold winters. Given a long warm growing season with plenty of heat and enough water to keep humidity up and protect from drying winds, it is possible to grow lychee in areas where it wouldn't seem possible. I don't know of anyone who is successfully growing a fruiting lychee tree in coastal northern California, the lack of heat units in summer probably is a more limiting factor than our less than ideal winters with wet rather than dry c limate as they would prefer and get in habitat.

So, I'd suggest that lychee in the PNW is on par with growing a mango tree and getting it to set fruit. If you want to eat your own lychees, you'll likely need a heated greenhouse and be prepared to do a lot of babying. Or move to Modesto and plant in a tract home in your east facing side yard. The long summer heat with daily temps above 90F and relatively early spring warm-up, and relative frost protection provided by 4 foot side yard setbacks and deep alluvial loamy soils seems to allow the impossible fruiting of lychee in northern California. These sorts of summer temps and humidity provided by extensive irrigated crop lands surrounding Modesto would seem a close approximation of coastal southern China summers. I know the owner of this tree has said he does try to protect it from freeze damage when it is expected to drop below 28F, but it only suffers modest leaf drop at temps above this level for just a night or two, with no attempts at frost protection.

Personally, while I love fresh lychee when traveling in SE Asia, I think the efforts to get it to fruit for me in the SF Bay Area outweigh the rewards, and it would be an awfully expensive exercise for a limited amount of fruit.

o

I think we were a bit set up here because yaslan did not mention the PA growers in the initial post. Were the "right conditions" in PA indoors or outdoors?

A bit of searching reveals that Tropical Fruit forums' north_tree_man in Pennsylvania takes his trees indoors by October and carefully monitors chill and heat hours.
He is not a casual fruit grower!

Search that forum for "lychee" for more info on success with lychees.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here