Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant identification

Posted by harborrose 8a-PNW (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 6, 11 at 7:11

This was taken at the Washington Park Arboretum this week. Can anyone tell me what it is? Thanks for any info.

IMG_3571

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant identification

viburnum "Dawn". IT blooms off and on all winter with lovely spicy fragrant blossoms.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 6, 11 at 13:32

While most Bodnant viburnums sold here are supposed to be 'Dawn', if this photo was taken in the Witt Winter Garden there have been multiple different viburnums of this type grown there in the past - including ones not belonging to Viburnum X bodnantense. All planted specimens on display in the park are supposed to be labeled, if this one had no tag telling you what it is that was abnormal - the percentage of labeling there is unusually high.

o

lizalily, thank you for the id. I'll have to look it up; I don't think I've ever seen one before.

bboy, it wasn't in the Witt Winter Garden, but at the visitor center. I walked by the Witt Winter Garden but somehow missed the viburnums. But it was close to three and getting a little dark when we got there so I know I missed many things.

The tree I enjoyed the most was (I think) a crabapple near the Woodland Garden. I didn't see a tag on it, either but maybe I missed it. Is this a crabapple?

I did enjoy the many tagged plants I did manage to see; I love it when plants are marked.

IMG_3567

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 6, 11 at 18:10

Lavalle hawthorn.

o

Thank you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here