Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ceanothus americanus

Posted by hemnancy z8 PNW (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 29, 13 at 7:44

I'm interested in growing Ceanothus americanus as a fragrant shrub and also a source of a tea. I already have C. thyrsiflorus 'Victoria' which has had a little dieback in a bad winter but otherwise no problems, blooms, and is not bothered by deer. I also have C. gloriousus Pt. Reyes, which has spread to around 4' square or more, looks great, not bothered by deer, and blooms. C. americanus being from the east coast, has anyone grown it here and is it easy, or is it bothered by deer and our clay soils. I have particularly C. Victoria in a dry sloped area, so I could put C. americanus in a similar situation.

Thanks, Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: pfaf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ceanothus americanus

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 19:58

As is typical for the genus C. americanus needs sun and drainage, in addition looks better with summer watering. C. gloriosus and 'Skylark' ('Victoria') have been the most prevalent commercially in this region, others apparently not having been as successful. Pt. Reyes is common name, labels showing it as a cultivar name, in single quotes are erroneous.

Unless it is decided everyone is growing a single clone that perhaps could then be given the cultivar name 'Point Reyes', sort of by default.

'Concha' is another good one. But many of these evergreen kinds are just not that hardy, especially if soil and exposure not perfect. Minimum temperatures indicated for some may be as high as 20 degrees F. In Britain and France there is a history of training them against warm sunny walls, away from cold winds.

This post was edited by bboy on Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 20:08

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here