Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steff442

Anyone from portland doing the Native Plant Sale?

steff442
10 years ago

I was just wondering if anyone in the Portland Metro area was looking at the offerings of the Native Plant Sale this year..? I was looking at the list, and am tempted by some of the shooting stars, ferns and such. At $2.00 a plant, its hard to resist.

Anyone else? What are you planning to buy? Anything you know to avoid due to invasiveness?

Here is a link that might be useful: East Multnomah Soil & Water Conservation District Plant Sale

Comments (12)

• tanowicki
    10 years ago

I will be purchasing some things. I need to get out in the garden and see if the cold decimated anything that needs to be replaced. The plants are generally tiny but there are no weeds. The popular items (e.g. red flowering currant) will sell out. They do have a remainder sale at the end of the day of things not picked up but you never know what will be available.

Because they are natives, they're not invasive. But, there are some aggressive plants like the oxalis.

• PRO
    George Three LLC
    10 years ago

worse things have happened than oxalis getting out of control. i can snack on those all day.

thanks for the heads up, just got a new place and i need a LOT of filler.

• steff442
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, I was thinking Oxalis would not be a good choice for me. Aggressive is probably a better word to use when talking about natives. I was wondering what they did at the end of the day when someone doesnt show up to get their plants. Thx!

I just got a new place as well, and am in the same boat. I want to replicate the cottage garden I had at my old place, with a corner devoted to natives. You're very welcome...hope you find lots of goodies for your new space!

Steff

• PRO
    George Three LLC
    10 years ago

what sort of sizes are these plants? hard to know if its a great "value" if they are lil guys.

• steff442
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think the website said they were all bare-root, like 2y old..? I know it mentions it somewhere on the site, but I can't remember where...

• tanowicki
    10 years ago

The trees and such are small but for $2 to $5, about what you would expect to maybe a little larger. Some of the small plants and groundcovers come in pots - I'm pretty sure the kinnickinnick does and that's a pretty decent sized plant for the price.

The one's that are surprisingly small are the things like ferns, camas, etc. Then they are pretty much a leaf with a decent root system in a baggie. If the plant is supposed to be dormant in February, don't expect much size from the plant you purchase.

• PRO
    George Three LLC
    10 years ago

looking over that list, and thinking about sizes... for me at least only the "groundcover" plants make much sense. there are a few species there that are hard(ish) to source, and my expectations for plants like that are low the first year or two. getting the extra coverage of dozens of plants will really pay off in a few years.

• PRO
    George Three LLC
    10 years ago

well, that was a bust. i waited till now to place my order. the one thing i really wanted was the Dodecatheon.... SOLD OUT.

• steff442
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ah, yeah....I know how you feel. I was really interested in the shooting stars, and it sold out practically first thing. Guess the demand is pretty high for some of these. But I did get some blue-eyed grass and a native bleeding heart.

• larry_gene
    10 years ago

The shooting star has been a common sight at the Nursery Growers Show at the Clackamas Fairgrounds in Canby in early May. Probably more than $2, but some were in very small pots.
    There are several native plant vendors at that event. Weekend attendance is typically 5,000-10,000.

• steff442
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Plant sale pickup was today, and I hung around afterward for the after-sale. They had a lot left over. I was the second person in line, and managed to get the shooting star I wanted after all!

Thanks again for the tip, tanowicki!

• tanowicki
    10 years ago

If you missed the EMSWCD plant sale, there's another one going on this Friday and Saturday (3/7 and 8) in Gervais for the Marion County SWCD. They seem to have a larger selection of plants. I've never been so I don't know how long their selection lasts.

Here is a link that might be useful: Marion County SWCD events