Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
duane456

what tomatoes will u b growing this year?

duane456
12 years ago

Thought it would be interesting subject-----

Haven't really decided myself

Comments (7)

• oliveoyl3
    12 years ago

Great topic & one I've been researching to cover all the bases in case of cold summer, late blight, or even a hot summer for those great heirloom flavors! My theory is if I plant enough varieties we'll have at least one winner! I read Stupice & Amish Paste perform & taste best in our part sun cool summer conditions, but I want to grow more than 2 types just in case.

Some varieties listed are because I already have the seed, so it's worth a try for my 1st year from seed.

Tomato Grow List (assume Ind unless marked DET) *disease resistant

Ultra early:
    Siberia 48d DET
    Stupice 55d
    Glacier 55d DET

Extra early:
    *Legend 65d DET
    *Oregon Spring 75d DET
    Siletz 65d DET

Early:
    Early Girl 62d

Main:
    Taxi 65d DET
    QueridaF-1 70-80d DET

Paste:
    Amish Paste 80d
    Roma 75d DET

Cherry:
    Gold Nugget 60d DET
    Matt's Wild Cherry 70-80d
    Oregon Cherry 60d DET
    Sungold 65d
    Sweetie70d

Grape:
    *Juliet 60d

Heirloom:
    Burbank Slicing 75d DET 4-6oz D
    Cherokee Purple 85d 6-8oz I
    Dr. Wychee's 75-90d
    Micado Violettor 75-85d
    Moneymaker 80-90d
    Yellow Perfection70-75d 3-5oz
    Wisconsin 55, 75-85d

Realistically, the growing space limits quantity, so actual plants still to be decided.

Corrine

• boizeau
    12 years ago

If I can find a few seeds, I want to try Purple Russian, which is a 75 day 'early' tomato. Ought to do fine in Tacoma if it gets at least above 60 degrees F.

• plantknitter
    12 years ago

I'd love to find some Slava seed without paying and arm and a leg for shipping for one dinky little packet.
    If anyone else is placing an order from abundant life, I'd love to go in with you.

• plantslayer
    12 years ago

I'm growing Sophie's Choice for my early tomato this year, and I have several not so early ones such as Indian Stripe to make things more interesting.

Plantknitter you can try this shop:

sampleseeds.com

They do not seem to sell "Slava" but they do have Stupice (which is related) and some Eastern European varieties. I have used the store twice; prices are very low, shipping is cheap (just a couple of dollars IIRC) and the seeds have germinated perfectly.

• boizeau
    12 years ago

The beauty of planting determinate types is that you can create a warmer micro-climate more easily for a smaller vine.
    I had very good resulte with Nyageous black tomato last season, which is a bit earlier than Hume's Cherokee Purple.

• Patrick888
    12 years ago

Sungella is my tomato of choice. I grow cherry types to get the best chance of a ripe crop, and my preference has moved from Sun Gold to Sungella (Sun Gold is one of its parents) because very few of the Sungella fruits split. Great flavor for a tomato grown in my climate.

• mariev_seattle
    12 years ago

This will be my second year growing tomatoes. Last year I grew Sun Gold and Black Krim from seed and bought starts of Cherokee Purple, Black Prince, and Jaune Flammee. The Sun Gold, Jaune Flammee, and Cherokee Purple all did well and had the best flavor, even given our cold summer. This year I'll be removing even more lawn, so I can grow more varieties. After a lot of research, I finally narrowed my list and got my seeds for this year.

Here's my list for 2012:

CHERRY/SMALL SALAD
    Sun Gold
    Jaune Flamme
    Blush

BLACK
    Cherokee Purple
    Spudakee (CP Potato Leaf)
    Indian Stripe
    Paul Robeson
    Black Krim
    Gary O'Sena