Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
growing green tea plants in PNW

Posted by winsorw 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 29, 10 at 11:40

Hi,
Would anyone like to share information/experience growing green tea plant (camellia sinensis) in the PNW? Is it really evergreen in this area? Which one is better between the variety with the pink and the white flowers. Any recommended vendors?
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: growing green tea plants in PNW

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 29, 10 at 14:51

Has been grown for decades at the Seattle arboretum - and there are supposed to be/have been some old ones at an experiment station in BC.

Coldest winters singe part of the foliage of the arboretum planting(s). Named selections offered by local garden centers may or may not be as hardy as the form grown there - the hardiness of this species varies. You will have to try some and find out for yourself.

o

I have been growing both for about 8 years. I am at about 900' in north Clark County so we get quite cold, It has definitely been through 8 degree weather. Yes, they are evergreen. Yes, deer love to nibble the tiny new leaves!!!!!! The white flowered one appears to be the stronger of the 2 for me. It is sturdier.
Flowers often ruined by frost. Seem to be slow growing even when not pruned by deer. Can't discern any difference in tea produced. I know both One Green World and Nichols Garden Nursery carry them Both can be googled. Both sell mail order. jwww

o

Thank you both for the info. I'll find and get both. We don't have deer around here so they should be happy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here