Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
winklynn_gw

East Coast Transplant

winklynn
12 years ago

I'm wondering what nurseries people prefer in the Seattle area. And what are your favorite gardens to see? Botanical gardens, etc? It's all new to me - except Molbak's, which I enjoyed recently, when I was in the area looking for an apartment. I've lived & gardened on the east coast for many years. Thank you!

Comments (10)

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

The other main Seattle area independent garden centers are Sky, Swanson's and Wells-Medina.

The principal publicly accessible plant collections are Bellevue Botanic Garden, Carl English Garden and Seattle Botanical Gardens.

Probably the most important Etc. is the Miller Library at the Center for Urban Horticulture.

• stolenidentity
    12 years ago

Take a trip to Flower World in Snohomish. Be sure to check out the gardens at The Hiram M. Chittenden Locks when the fuschia are a bloom, and welcome to the area winklynn!

• Noni Morrison
    12 years ago

I also really like the West Settle Garden Center/Nursery on California Ave. The gardens at Pt Defiance in Tacoma are another favorite place, especially the Rose Garden and the Dahlia test garden, and the Fuchia Garden.

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

The Carl English Garden is the garden at the Ballard locks.

• janezee
    12 years ago

welcome, winklynn,

Don't miss the rose garden at the zoo. And of course, Volunteer Park's conservatory. Both free and open most of the time.

I'm from New England, many years ago. You'll love the absence of Japanese beetles and June bugs, but learn to hate slugs really fast.

jane

• johnaberdeen
    12 years ago

Wright's Park conservatory in Tacoma is another great place to visit free, especially on a dark rainy winter's day. Speaking of conservatories, the brand new one at the Rhododendron Species Foundation garden in Federal Way is also a great place to visit, anytime. There is a small fee to enter the gardens. I enjoy visiting RSF's outdoor garden in the spring when most of the species rhododendrons are in bloom, but because there is so much variation in size and shape of both the plants and leaves it makes it interesting just about anytime of the year.

• buzzy
    12 years ago

Yes, welcome! I want to echo the Miller Library - you must check out the Center for Urban Horticulture at the University, with this library - you can take out books for 2 weeks

If you're going to Tacoma to see Pt Defiance gardens, do stop at the nursery in Ruston on Pearl street - can't remember the name but it has "tropicals" in it. Many plants that are semi-tropical or look that way grow well here.

The students at the South Seattle Community College horticulture program (in West Seattle as it happens) are creating a Chinese garden with a lovely view of the city skyline, with funding from the Chinese governemnt I believe. This garden also has beautiful English plantings, including roses and fragrant shrubs and perennials

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

The nursery is Jungle Fever Exotics.

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

There's also this place.

Here is a link that might be useful: Welcome to the Kruckeberg Botanic Garden

• boizeau
    12 years ago

Molbaks in Woodinville WA, is worth a visit. Tremendous collection of ornamentals and bedding plants as well as a very large covered area of house plants , 'if it is a rainy day', and the fringe benefit is you're next to our major winery tasting room concentrations just south of there, Ste. Michelle and Silver Lake.