Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bradybbb

Low 20's Next Week

Bradybb WA-Zone8
10 years ago

The temperature in the Seattle area is suppose to be in the twenties next week and possibly in the upper teens in the Redmond area where I'm at,with the lowest,looking like Thursday and then gradually warming.
I'm wondering if this will damage developing fruit buds.I have some Southern Highbush Blueberries that seem to like to come out of hibernation a little earlier than the Northern ones. Brady

Comments (26)

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

I wouldn't expect those to be bothered.

Temperatures not abnormal, winter here is Nov-Feb, with the snow period for the winter sometimes coming as late as Feb.

• ian_wa
    10 years ago

You won't hear this on the local news, but computer forecast models are advertising something far more severe than the December freeze we just had, and continue to get colder with each run. At this time they are projecting temperatures similar to the December 1990 freeze, and colder than Feb. 1989, all the way down to central California and cold enough for snow at sea level in San Francisco. Of course that still doesn't mean it's going to happen, but if it does, learning opportunities will be plenteous...

• mikebotann
    10 years ago

26F here this morning.
    I have a few plants I'm bring in at night. An Agave, for one, and a Cunninghamia, 'Little Louie', for another.
    Mike

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

1990 was called "the worst in 30 years". Independent garden centers here left a whole bunch of potted stock inadequately protected during the last cold snap, and it looks like it - if we have another 1989-1990 style event they probably won't be able to pretend exposed material is still sale-able.

Meanwhile one big place here still has quite apparently burned up Mahonia X media and other clearly damaged items still out on the sales floor, so to speak.

**Always study potential purchases that have been sitting in retail yards for some time with an awareness that roots may be dead (after high or low temperatures) or the whole plant may be starved, due to the fertilization program at the wholesale container production facility not having been continued - or even approximated. "Sad plants" are not a good deal, a plant can look normal or at least acceptable to the unwary and actually have a nearly or half dead root system (the top is the last to die) or be quite starved - severe nutrient deficiency occurs well before the top goes yellow, at which point the condition of the plant is really bad. The fact that you can stick a starved plant in the ground or fertilize it and see an improvement does not cancel the fact that you can very often also have one continue to deteriorate and die, despite improved conditions.

Part or much of the time this may be due to poor specimens being infested with water molds, which may then have been introduced to the planting site via the installation of the infested plant**

• hallerlake
    10 years ago

They're still talking lows in the teens here with highs above freezing. I've got some things to bring in at night; Coprosmias, a crepe myrtle, and an agapanthus. The last two may just go in the basement for the week. I've also got some recently planted babies to put umbrella cloches over.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Interestingly, the Luma apiculata 'Glanleam Gold' in the whiskey barrels at Anthony's Beachfront Cafe (at the Edmonds marina) burned up this last time (and were removed) but the purple Coprosma in the same location on the east side of the building did not appear more than a little burnt - far from dead, at any rate.

• hallerlake
    10 years ago

Interesting. They're only supposed to take a few degrees of frost, if that. I assume that's in the ground. On the other hand, Far Reaches Farm has one that was good into the teens (in the ground).

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Whiskey barrel planter, on pavement.

• ian_wa
    10 years ago

Coprosma 'Black Cloud' is hardy to the low teens, no problem. Maybe that is the one you are thinking of. Luma apiculata 'Glenleam Gold' survives down to about 17-18ish then it's dead - not as hardy as the species.

This post was edited by ian_wa on Sun, Feb 2, 14 at 19:30

• OregonGrape
    10 years ago

The coldest forecast I'm seeing here is a low of 17 early Thursday morning. We'll know more in a couple of days.

• hallerlake
    10 years ago

I have the C. 'Karo Red'

• schizac
    10 years ago

17.2 F was thee low recorded here overnight....130 ft, 1/2 mile from Sound.

Tonight will almost certainly be colder still.

• OregonGrape
    10 years ago

Western Oregon is apparently being spared. The forecast was revised to low 20's tonight and mid-20's on Friday. It was 26 here this morning.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Snowed in Shoreline, near Seattle for awhile yesterday afternoon.

• hallerlake
    10 years ago

We had a very few, very tiny flakes.

• mikebotann
    10 years ago

Just a few flakes here too.
    20F. here at 4:30pm today. High was 24F. Might be a record for a low high on Feb. 5th.
    Mike

• hallerlake
    10 years ago

It always seems to be cold for the flower and garden show. Am taking the bus. Will not buy any orchids. 26F here. I'd best get my Coprosmas back inside for the night.

This post was edited by hallerlake on Wed, Feb 5, 14 at 20:29

• Pachhu
    10 years ago

I have year old Olives, pomegranate, citrus (inside unheated greenhouse). I have protected the bottom of the plants with cardboard boxes. The lowest was 20 F. With wind chill could be much lower say 15 F. Will they survive??

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    Original Author
    10 years ago

From what I understand,wind chill doesn't affect plants.It can dry them out somewhat,if they're exposed to it,but make sure the soil is moist.
    Things should warm steadily. Brady

• Pachhu
    10 years ago

Thanks Bradybb. Can I water the roots of the plant now or is it too late since it is going to be around 25 to 30 F for couple of days?

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If the soil is dry,I'd water.Maybe get it slightly warm. Brady

• OregonGrape
    10 years ago

Agreed that moist soil is better than dry soil in sub-freezing temperatures. Water releases energy (in the form of heat) when it freezes and this helps to protect the plant's roots.

• Pachhu
    10 years ago

My observation in the past 10 years or so is that after the temperature drops to 18 to 20 F in Feb it is not going to happen again till next winter.If its correct than the plants should be ok for this season.

Any comments.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's a fair assumption,but still could be a gamble. Brady

• Pachhu
    10 years ago

Warm rain forecast for the next week with temperature 45 F should be a welcome relief for the plants.

• OregonGrape
    10 years ago

My plants received 9" of snow on Thursday/Friday and about a half inch of freezing rain yesterday. I'm glad that it's warming up.

Some of my neighbors have learned the hard way that silver maples are bad yard trees.