Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dottyinduncan

Rhodie Suggestion please

dottyinduncan
12 years ago

I have a place where I would like to plant a couple of rhodies that will be super easy care and will grow large. It should be an ideal location, a little on the shady side. I think light coloured blooms would be best. Any thoughts?

Comments (14)

• les1238
    12 years ago

I could use suggestions myself. Deep pink / fuschia, please!

• oliveoyl3
    12 years ago

Greer Gardens has an excellent selection & has a rhodie gallery online so you can shop by bloom if you'd like.

We planted 2 Anna Rose Whitneys a few years ago from one-gallon containers. They have buds this year, so we'll have blooms next June in front & backyards.

Here is a link that might be useful: Anna Rose Whitney

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

'Anna Rose Whitney' mildews, as do many others. Since powdery mildew of rhododendron came on the scene here planting rhododendrons in this region ain't what it used to be. I would suggest visiting local collections - in particular those that do not undertake regular spraying for mildew - to see which kinds still have good leaf retention and appearance.

• botann
    12 years ago

I've never had a problem with 'Anna Rose Whitney' and mildew. Maybe it's just my location, up and 20 miles from the Sound.

Dottie, may I suggest 'Loderi King George'. It gets big and has a delightful, light fragrance. It can be trained to be a tree.
    That's it on the left.
    {{gwi:1067450}}

Here's another picture of 'Loderi King George' in my garden.

{{gwi:1067453}}
    Mike

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

It began to be prevalent here after the 1990 winter, many seemed to mistake gauntness of their rhododendrons in subsequent years for cold damage. Although blooming well the specimens in your above pictures look to have the foliage appearance of infested plants. 'King George' often has spotted or patterned leaves anyway, which might mask the onset of mildew.

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

There is a Rhodie garden in Portland come on down and visit it, especially on Mother's Day weekend

• dottyinduncan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Botann, it looks like a lovely one. I'll lok for it at my local nursary. Thanks.

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Huge trusses of large fragrant trumpets. One of the most outstanding classic varieties. But I seldom see it now with the size and abundance of leaves it is supposed to have, due to mildew.

• larry_gene
    12 years ago

Crystal Springs Rhododendron Garden in SE Portland is free Tuesday-Wednesday, otherwise there is an entry fee.

There have been recent improvements to the grounds.

• boizeau
    12 years ago

I'd suggest either Lem's Monarch or Lem's Cameo.
    Both are big leafed impressive Rhododendrons that are shade tolerant and medium large plants. Do fine on the north side of my place in Milton, WA

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:400850}}

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

The latter frequently has an appearance of partial interveinal chlorosis and may be prone to mildew. It used to be more expensive than usual due to inability to get good percentages from cutting beds. The Walloper Group types such as 'Lem's Monarch' produce a much more robust plant and may not develop conspicuously deleterious amounts of mildew.

None of these sport the large fragrant trumpets of the Loderi Group, of course.

• boizeau
    12 years ago

My personal favorites are the Yak/Bureauvii hybrids, with the fuzzy indumentum. The floral displays are not grande, but the plant looks great all season. I think they are pretty complact as a rule though and if you want larger specimens they would not meet your need.

• botann
    12 years ago

I haven't had a problem with mildew so far on Lem's Monarch. Bboy, do you have some reasons why it is prevalent in some areas and not others? For me, it has been an outstanding Rhody.
    {{gwi:1067455}}

{{gwi:396342}}
    Lem's Monarch

I haven't had any problems with Lem's Cameo either, even though it's not in the best location. (Too much shade, not enough summer water, and root competition from a Dawn Redwood) Maybe it's my isolation. I am off the beaten path and away from the Sound and in the foothills. I do get more rain than Seattle.

{{gwi:1067458}}
    Lem's Cameo

I have some Bureauvii and like them a lot, even though they are in a very crowded situation. Same with the Yaks. Maybe I can move them before Spring if I get the ice storm damage cleaned up by then. I don't have that cross though.

Mike

• dottyinduncan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think that Lem's Monarch is one that I have admired in other people's gardens so perhaps it is one that will do well for me too. I might be able to put 2 plants in....
    Thanks again all, it's fun to plan at this time of year.