Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
delta_shelbygirl

Tips on growing agapanthus?

delta_shelbygirl
15 years ago

I'm new to this site and thrilled to find so many experienced and helpful gardeners! I am wondering if anyone has experience or suggestions for growing agapanthus in zone 6b? I've been admiring these plants at the local nursery and have been researching on the web, but don't know if these are a good choice for my location. The spot I am considering is very sunny south and west facing, with good drainage.

Comments (4)

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Maybe grow as a tub plant put under cover during cold weather.

• muddydogs
    15 years ago

So far Agapanthus 'Storm Cloud' has been a toughy for me. I made the mistake of planting it behind blue oat grass. The blooms were wimpy. But it survives. I'm moving it to front of the border because I read they like sun beating down at their base.

• delta_shelbygirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the advice! I've been doing some more looking on the web and apparently Monrovia has developed Agapanthus Midknight Blue that is hardy zone 6. I will try to track it down this spring and give it a try. I have a hot, dry spot in the front yard for it. It is winter that worries me...

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    15 years ago

There a number of cold hardy strains of Agapanthus available - the Headbourne Hybrids have been around for years and are listed to zone 6. Also a variety called 'Cold Hardy White', offered through High Country Gardens. And Xera Plants (located in Oregon) grows a variety of agapanthus they list to 0F. They are wholesale only but sell to a several Seattle area nurseries. 'Peter Pan' and 'White Profusion' are relatively common and are tough little dwarf plants that perform reliably in the PNW. I have a container planting of 'White Profusion' that I've grown for years and virtually ignore - it disappears totally over winter and then blooms like a maniac for several weeks in midsummer.

Container growing may be a good option. IME, these appreciate being root bound, the soil heats up decently in summer to produce reliable blooming and you can move them easily into winter shelter if necessary. One of the primary advantages of growing them in this manner is the ability to control drainage. I think most are lost over winter in our climate by overly wet, cold soils.

Avoid the species africanus - these are the most common evergreen forms seen inSoCal and tend to be the least hardy for northern gardeners. Most of the more hardy forms will be some type of hybrids or selections of campanulatus and are all totally herbaceous.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting