Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tips on growing agapanthus?

Posted by delta_shelbygirl 6B (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 14, 09 at 12:59

I'm new to this site and thrilled to find so many experienced and helpful gardeners! I am wondering if anyone has experience or suggestions for growing agapanthus in zone 6b? I've been admiring these plants at the local nursery and have been researching on the web, but don't know if these are a good choice for my location. The spot I am considering is very sunny south and west facing, with good drainage.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tips on growing agapanthus?

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 14, 09 at 15:48

Maybe grow as a tub plant put under cover during cold weather.

o

So far Agapanthus 'Storm Cloud' has been a toughy for me. I made the mistake of planting it behind blue oat grass. The blooms were wimpy. But it survives. I'm moving it to front of the border because I read they like sun beating down at their base.

o

Thanks for the advice! I've been doing some more looking on the web and apparently Monrovia has developed Agapanthus Midknight Blue that is hardy zone 6. I will try to track it down this spring and give it a try. I have a hot, dry spot in the front yard for it. It is winter that worries me...

o

There a number of cold hardy strains of Agapanthus available - the Headbourne Hybrids have been around for years and are listed to zone 6. Also a variety called 'Cold Hardy White', offered through High Country Gardens. And Xera Plants (located in Oregon) grows a variety of agapanthus they list to 0F. They are wholesale only but sell to a several Seattle area nurseries. 'Peter Pan' and 'White Profusion' are relatively common and are tough little dwarf plants that perform reliably in the PNW. I have a container planting of 'White Profusion' that I've grown for years and virtually ignore - it disappears totally over winter and then blooms like a maniac for several weeks in midsummer.

Container growing may be a good option. IME, these appreciate being root bound, the soil heats up decently in summer to produce reliable blooming and you can move them easily into winter shelter if necessary. One of the primary advantages of growing them in this manner is the ability to control drainage. I think most are lost over winter in our climate by overly wet, cold soils.

Avoid the species africanus - these are the most common evergreen forms seen inSoCal and tend to be the least hardy for northern gardeners. Most of the more hardy forms will be some type of hybrids or selections of campanulatus and are all totally herbaceous.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here