Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hakuna Matata baby Gunnera Manicatas!

Posted by firevicar Woodinville WA (greenelephant@holycrossredmond.org) on
Mon, Jan 30, 06 at 13:13

What a great mushy day in the garden. After the night's rain my swamp is gurgling happily.

I just transplanted some year-old seedings of the white flowered skunk cabbages (lysichiton kamschatensis sp?) from a seed exchange with a japanese garderner.

Thanks to advice from Ian, I am tending a crop of infant gunnera manicatas from seed saved last October.
Image hosting by Photobucket

This is the genious of the GW. Gardeners helping each other.

I've got a whole flat winter sown gunneras waiting to be germinated. If I can get them going in time, I'll bring them to the Spring Green Elephant Plant Swap in Redmond.

Cheers,

Jim
Woodinville

Here is a link that might be useful: Spring Green Elephant Plant Swap

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hakuna Matata baby Gunnera Manicatas!

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 30, 06 at 16:16

You'll probably have to hover over those Lysichitums after you plant them out, they tend to disappear in the prescence of slugs here. Same thing with non-native trilliums and wild gingers (Asarum): the native species can be right there, growing and flowering happily with slugs taking down the guest from foreign lands mere feet away.

o

Any seed left or did you get the gunneras all planted? I cannot get up to the Seattle area very often until summer, but would love to try growing gunnera from seed in Pdx.

Thanks
zenzone

o

Follow up Sept 07.

Gunnera seedlings from 06 did not fare well through the winter. I think I got too eager in March. I had 15 in pots and exposed them too early and all but one died. But spring '07's seedlings, winter sown in fall of '06, mulched and left outside down to 13 degrees F., germinated very well. Here's 50 6-inch pots of seedlings.

I'd really like to try this with Gunnera tinctoria. Anyone got a seed head?

I will give away gunneras to anyone at the Green Elephant.

Also, I divided my Cyperus papyrus 'isocladus' dwarf papyrus and have 15 one-gallon pots to give/share at the Green Elephant. This plant needs to come in for the winter and does well in the house near a window or under lights.

Email or give me a call.

Regards,

Jim Eichner
425-223-7249 cell
GreenElephant

Here is a link that might be useful: Fall Green Elephant Plant Swap

o

Hi Jim,
I am new to this sight and this will be my first ever trading experience. I hope to get a Gunnera and a Cyperus papyrus. From what I have seen so far you are a major reason this happens...Thank you!
Happy gardening,
Carla

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here