Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dottyinduncan

Question re: NW Garden show

dottyinduncan
9 years ago

We are planning to go to the NW Garden show for the first time. Any advice for me?

Comments (14)

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Go early in the day or in the evening. When it is crowded you can't see anything.

• daphnexduck
    9 years ago

Plan on spending a FULL day there, especially if you want to attend a lecture (they fill up early!) The vendors sell seeds and bulbs, along with everything you could want for your garden, so you'll probably spend quite a bit of time there, too.

The food at the food court is usually pretty good.

Daphne in Tacoma

• dottyinduncan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. Is it better to buy tickets ahead of time? We are planning on going on the 12th. Is there a "must see"?

• enith
    9 years ago

It depends on what is your main interest. I love collecting plants so the first thing I do is to get to the show as early as possible on Wednesday. I than bypass all the gardens and marketplace and go straight to Plant Market to snatch some plants. After I do that (which can take few hours) I go back to the gardens (if not to crowded) or to the seminars. For me it's an all day and multiple day deal. Last year and the year before I went three times, mostly for plants and seminars. Seminars alone can keep you busy for 5 solid days, there is always so much going on in three different rooms.
    I find weekends to be the busiest.
    Ticket bought ahead of time are few bucks cheaper each.

• dottyinduncan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks enith. I think I would be happy spending several days there but unfortunately, I will be only one of four people so will be hamstringed. I am checking out the show guide to see what the "group" will enjoy and see if I need to sneak away on my own for a while. I am getting the message that we really need to develop a plan. We are planning to stay at a hotel close by so if we can break the day up into two forays, it might be more doable for us senior citizens. I am really looking forward to it.

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Don't know what kind of numbers it is drawing now but it has been typical in the past for it to become very crowded and noisy during peak times - you may find you will have been glad to have prioritized for certain events or periods and not tried to have been there all day. I have found being there for a few hours (or less) during evenings, after it starts to quiet down to be immensely more enjoyable. And the evening tickets have been cheaper.

I pretty much quit doing the seminars a long time ago as the more popular ones in particular can be like attending rock shows, with long lines forming well in advance - and interest maybe even exceeding seating capacity, so that if you don't show up early and stand there for a long time you may sometimes not get in. And often the topics don't interest me enough to bother anyway, even if it might be a seminar that was easy to get into. That said I did take a few things away from talks by Adrian Bloom and Christopher Lloyd that have stayed with me for years.

This post was edited by bboy on Mon, Jan 19, 15 at 16:39

• quillfred
    9 years ago

Get lodging asap. Hopefully you can stay within a few steps as to take a break if you need.

Keep a map handy as it can be disorienting - at least for me. It can be fun to discover new info by wandering among the booths talking to folks and it is less crowded.

It is so delightful to see so much green and color during the winter. Have a great time.

• locust8
    9 years ago

As previous posters have mentioned--it's crazy crowded. And immense. I once tried to take it all in at a fast pace in 3 hours and was knackered and still hadn't seen it all.I find it helpful that they usually have miscellaneous vendors in one building and the nursery and plant vendors in another, which makes it easier if plants are your main focus.

If you or anyone else attending is buying plants, I would recommend a small handcart or something that doesn't take up much room, but that can hold your goods. Something that won't get you the evil eye from other show goers. Walking for hours holding even something smallish is a pain. Take it from me: I've made the mistake at least twice.

They do sell some food (and wine!--fyi located at the middle of the event by the bridge btwn the two buildings) and I always find that despite my energy, I need a moment's downtime from the crowd. There are plenty of seating areas, but always at the periphery of the buildings. And there is a big seating area by the large thematic nursery displays.

Hope you and your group enjoy!

• dottyinduncan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm getting excited! Yes, we are staying at a hotel as close as possible and I'm sure we will need a rest. Our relatives live on a farm in Saskatchewan so I hope they aren't bowled over by the crowds...and the green! It will certainly be an eye opener to our west coast. I do appreciate all of the info here. One little question, since we are from Canada, I'm not sure that we can buy any plant material. Any thoughts?

• enith
    9 years ago

You can buy plants! You will make your purchases and than take your plants to a designated booth for phytosanitary certificate that will allow you to take your plants across the border. Be aware that some plants (e.g. terrestrial orchids, snowdrops) cannot be taken to Canada so be careful when choosing things to buy. If certain plants cannot be taken to Canada the seller usually mentions that next to that plant. Keep an eye for these notices.

• dottyinduncan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This gets better and better! One plant I saw in a garden that I toured last spring was "Spotty Dotty". I will be looking out for it and hope she could come home with me. Thanks, Enith.

• Merrygardener
    9 years ago

I was at the show on Wednesday, and kept seeing groups of women and wondering "Is that Dotty's gang?!" I hope you enjoyed it!

• enith
    9 years ago

I was there on Wednesday and Thursday and I was wondering the same thing! I hope she and her friends had as much fun as I did. I got Paris japonica! Woo-hoo!

• duncandotty
    9 years ago

We had a wonderful time! Loved the show and the crowds were certainly manageable. Also chatted to gardeners I met at the hotel and learned lots there. Even got some questions answered from a fellow breakfaster at the hotel about the city plantings in Victoria. I'd been wondering for years about how they got Victoria plantings to be so lush, now I know. Next time I go to the NW show though, I'm going to take fellow gardeners and spend more time so that we can spend much more time drooling over the beautiful plants. btw, I saw my "Spotty Dotty" at the Butchart Gardens display but it wasn't for sale. Lots of fun to go and Seattle is now a lovely, clean city.