Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can't hear door bell while working in backyard... Any solution?

Posted by bonzgirl 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 22, 08 at 13:55

Not sure which forum to ask this question, so I came here : this is my most favorite forum. :)

Well, I know it's still very cold outside, but I've started preparing my backyard for spring/summer time since the weather is so nice. Can't miss sunshine...

Anyway, I have noticed that we can't really hear the door bell/chime when we're working/hanging out in our backyard. Our chime is in dining room, and the room is closer to front yard rather than backyard...

I wonder if there are any solutions out in market, or any clever ideas?

One solution would be the "outdoor grade (water proof)" door bell/chime which can be wired to existing one in dining room, and installed on the outside wall. So it will ring when someone pushes the button at the front door... But so far, I haven't been able to find one like that.

Another idea is an old-school cow-bell or some sort, which string goes along my side housewall, and all the way to the back. So someone come to our front door, pull the door bell handle/string, then will ring the bell in backyard. I know it's kind a fun, but silly idea... ;)

If you have similar problem, I would appreciate to hear your solutions!! I often miss mail guy delivered package, and/or friends/neighbors stop by unexpectedly who couldn't find us even though we were in backyard! Would love to find some way to avoid that this year!

Thanks!

-b

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can't hear door bell while working in backyard... Any solutio

Or whenever you go outside, you can hang a little sign on the door that says, "I'm in the garden; please come see me there!" or some such thing...

-Katy

o

Take a look at the Plug In Extend A Chime on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Plug-In-Extend-A-Chime/dp/B0000BYCN1

o

You might look into wireless doorbell extenders. Heath Zenith offers many (see website below). We purchased one (SL-6166) at Home Depot. Rather easy installation; no wires. We put the chime extender in our kitchen and it works just fine. I suspect you could plug one into an outside outlet as long as it is within range of your main chime and protected from rain, etc.

http://12.153.20.71/heath/wirelessdoorchimes3.html

o

Part 2 to my earlier reply. After seeing the reply to you from sundevil, I read the customer reviews on Amazon for a similar Heath Zenith chime extender. I suspect the technology is much the same. I do recall needing to fiddle around a bit with the transmitter (the part that is put into your existing door chime) before everything worked as it should. Just some trial-and-error in finding the exact location to put the part so that everything worked. However, I could understand how others might have a more challenging situation and frustrating experience. I may just have been lucky. Anyway, I thought I'd follow up with this so that I don't mislead you. Good luck!

o

thecitychicken :
Thanks for your idea. I meant to make a sign says "please remove shoes" for a long time. I guess I can make a reversible sign w/"I'm in backyard" message on the other side. :)

sundevil & olympiceagle :
Thank you so much for the links! I didn't know those extender for existing bell exist... It's exactly what I need!! I searched a little more on amazon.com, found an outdoor grade one. I'm going to see if I can find it at Home Depot or ACE hardware since I would like to see it in person if possible...

Can't wait to have this new feature to my house/garden. Thank you again for all your information!!

-b

o

"I meant to make a sign says "please remove shoes" for a long time. I guess I can make a reversible sign w/"I'm in backyard" message on the other side. :)"

Make them really cute, and then sell them on Etsy. :P

-Katy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here