Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantknitter

gardening RAIN gear--what do you wear?

plantknitter
18 years ago

I guess I'm getting old, but it no longer is appealing to get outside and get soaked and cold while gardening.

I used to be ok with it, but I would now love to get some clothing to wear that will stand up to heavy kneeling, climbing in and under shrubs for pruning, digging, weeding, planting, that won't tear up, will keep me reasonably dry but not be too bulky to maneuver, and won't cost an arm and a leg.

Any ideas?

I NEED and want to get out there and get some work done.

Comments (10)

• marie_in_wa
    18 years ago

I don't have that issue - I garden on my balcony which is currently covered with a plastic dropcloth.

However, if I did, I would invest in a vinyl rain suit made for people who ride motorcycles. They are intended to be put on over regular clothing - and aren't bulky at all.
    {{gwi:1067787}}

Here is a link that might be useful: suit is listed under mens/outerwear

• silver_creek
    18 years ago

Try looking at a commercial fishing supply/boaters' supply store. I wear a lightweight rubber bib overall and jacket combo with neoprene cuffs- the brand I like is 66*North but there are a couple of other good brands out there. Tough, flexible, not too hot, and mud rinses off. Pair that with a pair of muck boots and winter weight Atlas gloves- I can work outside all day.

• groundshero
    18 years ago

I'm a groundskeeper, outside all year round.

I've ended up using Dutch Harbor. They have a mid-priced set (about 40 bucks for coat, 40 for bib pants).

They're flexible, but still tough. I can weed on my knees and not end up with holes. They also have velcro at the cuffs, to keep rain from running up my arms. They don't get stiff in the cold, unlike the rubber stuff.

I get mine at GI Joes but here's a link for a picture...

Here is a link that might be useful: dutch harbor gear

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    18 years ago

Work and More outlets carry Helly Hansen raingear, which is what most of my nursery and landscaping co-workers favor - typically bibs and long, hooded jackets. Not inexpensive but very high quality, durable, lightweight and flexible. Seems to me I've seen them at GI Joe's and other surplus-type stores as well, perhaps at better prices.

If you are anywhere near one of these Work and More stores (several in the greater Seattle area), they are worth checking out. An excellent source for a variety of heavy duty gardening attire and a big selection of raingear in all price points. The stores cater specifically to those working out of doors in all weather and seasons.

• marie_in_wa
    18 years ago

I should have mentioned - the only reason I included the link I did was because that was the best picture that I could find. There are more inexpensive versions out there - and I bet if you looked long enough you could find one at a thrift store.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    18 years ago

I'm a Grundens gardener...and don't forget that Sandham Sou'wester, it's a must to keep rain from running down your neck or face (gutter in front). There's been a seller in NC listing these (new) occasionally on eBay if you don't mind the name of a fish company printed on your gardening gear....For the price, I don't mind at all.

For really tough leg wear, I wear commercial style hip boots, not cheap but last for years if you hang by the foot on a wall mount boot rack rather than fold and sit in a closet. I stay dry, warm, and can hose myself off instead of having to run a prewash cycle to remove mud from pant legs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grundens

• Embothrium
    18 years ago

What? Does it rain here? Remember those first two weeks of December? I used to do Helly Hansen but latest set is something I picked up at CostCo.

• schippk
    18 years ago

Currently I'm considering using a snorkel and scuba mask.

• plantknitter
    Original Author
    18 years ago

25 days and counting......

but not if you are personally affected by the flooding or mud slides.

• Las_Palmas_Norte
    18 years ago

I've heard about the consecutive streak. I know that's not been the case at my place. There have been a few days without measurable rainfall, yesterday infact.

Anyone started building an Arc yet?