Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
someara_gw

please help me brainstorm

someara
16 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am hoping that people could help me build a list of trusty annuals to start from seed. I am pinching pennies this year and want to start more annuals from seed than I usually do. I would like plants that are easy to start from seed, are easy to care for AND ideally have a long blooming season. I know... I want it all! :) Thank you so much for your suggestions.

Comments (10)

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Lobularia maritima. Reseeds for years in suitable spots, so it's almost like you had planted perennials. Another one that does well in this area and may stay with you awhile is Viola tricolor (the species itself and garden forms near it, rather than built-up hybrid violas that may be offered under the species name).

Maybe search "reseeding annuals" and see what comes up.

• libbyshome
    16 years ago

Here's a list of flowers that self seed in my garden. Mostly annuals but a few perennials and biennials.

calendula
    campanula.bellflower .....B
    cornflower
    columbine....P
    clarkia elegans
    Cosmos
    dianthus
    chinese Forget-Me-Not
    godetia
    honesty.........B
    feverfew
    foxglove,.....B
    Jupiter's Beard ....P
    larkspur
    lavatera
    lobelia....sometimes
    Love-In-A-Mist
    malva sylvestris.........P
    mignonette
    mullein ...giant weed
    nasturtium
    nemophila - Baby-Blue-Eyes
    pansy
    Rose campion..........P
    salvia hominum
    Shirley poppy
    Snapdragon
    Sweet Pea.......some times
    sweet alyssum
    stocks,
    Wallflower

• LindyB
    16 years ago

Good old fashioned zinnias. They seem to have come back into fashion. They're easy to grow and bloom all summer long clear up to the first frost.

• JudyWWW
    16 years ago

I would especially recommend the Profusion Zinnia series.....multiple blooms, long bloom period and more bushy....less stiff than most zinnia. I'vee been successful with saved seed.

I would add any of the wide variety of nicotianas (also some reseed here).

Definitely hyssop! Reseed, smell great....attract butterflies....

How about 4 o'clocks which also reseed.

jwww

• Mary Palmer
    16 years ago

Hi Libbyshome
    I see you have mignonette on your list.... I saw this at the Cutting Garden in Sequim last year and loved it's fragrance. Is it an aggressive self seeder?

Here is a link that might be useful: http://public.fotki.com/BambooMary/northwest-travel/road_trip_to_sequim/gwen--johns-50th/10036631.html

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

You can stop all that brainstorming now, it's really affecting the weather.

• libbyshome
    16 years ago

bamboomary

Over 30 years ago I planted one row of mignonette. It's been in my garden ever since, reseeding over and over again.
    I wouldn't call it aggressive since the seedlings are easy to recognize. Not much to look at but, oh that smell.

Libby

• Mary Palmer
    16 years ago

Thanks Libby for the feedback, I just may plant some. I really loved the fragrance too!

• someara
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you so much for the ideas. It is a great help and definitely giving me spring fever!!

• Patrick888
    16 years ago

some great suggestions! I would add common white allysum to the list. I never have to replant it...it volunteers readily without being a pest & does give off a nice fragrance at times, especially when grown en masse.