Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rainfall stats

Posted by dottyinduncan z8b coastal BC (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 1, 13 at 15:01

Total rainfall in 2012, 39.2 inches. Rainfall April 1st to October 15th: 6 inches. Rainfall, October 15th to December 31st: 27.2 inches. The lack of rain in the growing season made it really tough to garden this past year. Anyone else keep rainfall stats?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rainfall stats

PDX 50.44" in 2012; 4th most since 1941. 22" in autumn alone; >6" 3 consecutive months, most in many years. Mid-July to mid-October nearly completely dry.

Can't say it really ruined anything and most crops did quite well.

o

How did crops do quite well with no water for 3 months? Or are you implying you irrigated them?

o

I irrigated a lot but still had many plants stunted and I gave up on some. We are able to water from a lake but it sure was a challenge. It was interesting that most people didn't bother to water lawns. Usually the September rains bring them back to green by October but this year it was close to December before they greened up.

o

...that was the implication. Moist summers are rare here and vegetables/some fruits need water attention, no matter if the annual rainfall is 27 or 50 inches.

Tomatoes (nearly all ripened on-vine) and quince (no cracks or brown rot) particularly benefitted from the extended dry season, although both were irrigated at soil level, keeping the plants dry.

One has to guard against over-watering in such a season.

o

Yes larrygene you had the same weather pattern as us. It was really difficult dealing with the drought this year. We didn't have as much overall as you although I think Vancouver had much more. Where we are on the Island we are in a bit of a rain shadow. Nothing we can do about it except irrigate. I like keeping such records though.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 3, 13 at 12:06

November is the usual time for the rains to return in a big way. I've noticed re-greening of lawns, sprouting and growth of weedy grasses not being well underway until then in a previous year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here