Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
destynicheryshtresyr

Pruning/grafting a cherry tree

First a confession. The last time I looked at this forum was years ago when I had a Wisteria that I thought had died and I was provided with a plethora of interesting info. Thank you. Wisteria is alive and well but the 3 fruit cherry tree is now twice the size and causing me pain.

I'm not sure of the 3 varieties on the tree but suspect Ranier, Bing and some small black-cherry variety. My concern is with the black cherries as they seem to have thrived far beyond the other varieties. These are cherries that no one seeme to want to bother with... mainly pit, create too much shade in the backyard and fall over the lawn all summer creating a sticky pest attraction. I topped many of the black cherry branches last year but have come to realize that the tree itself is simply too big ... the best of the cherries go to the crows each year. I'm seeking advice on topping the entire tree. How far, what time of year is best, can I do it myself, where can I cut ... can I graft in new growth from the other varieties into the cut back sections of the black cherry branches? (I wish I could post a picture)Any thoughts would be welcomed.

Comments (4)