Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toad_ca

premature bulbs

toad_ca
12 years ago

I probably didn't plant my bulbs (Hyacinths, Crocuses, and Daffodils) deeply enough in October, and some are poking through. I've been covering them up with compost and soil. Is that the right thing to do? And, at this point, I'm not sure when to let them do what they want. It's hard to believe we won't get "real winter weather" some time soon. Advice?

Comments (9)

• stolenidentity
    12 years ago

Same here, my bulbs are coming up already. I think they were tricked since we did not get any cold. I am just going to leave mine alone, let them do what they want, and enjoy them early this year.

• lilydude
    12 years ago

Are you folks in a banana belt? Down in the Longview area, we got several weeks of very cold weather in the 20s and 30s in the first part of December. I was wearing long johns and two pairs of socks. Now we're getting quite mild weather. I guess the bulbs have gotten their chilling hours, and have decided that spring is here.

Here is a link that might be useful: wa weather

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Don't put dirt over any shoots that have already unfolded as that may screw them up. Frost I am not as concerned about, hardy bulbs that pop up during the cold time of the year are mostly pretty tolerant, otherwise they wouldn't come up then.

• toad_ca
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks to you all. No, we're definitely NOT in a banana belt, lilydude. We've been in the 30s and 40s, though. Tonight is supposed to go below 30 out in our little micro-climate.
    sasafras and bboy--I won't cover them any more, thanks. bboy, they hadn't unfolded yet, just poked through.

• tanowicki
    12 years ago

Every year mine poke up early or at the wrong time after the weather screws with their little plant minds. And again, a few have poked through and are sticking up an inch or so. I suspect they'll just pause a bit and then keep going in a month or two. The PNW weather likes to play with bulbs.

• reg_pnw7
    12 years ago

Yes, usually when this happens (pretty frequently) the bulbs just stop growing when it gets cold, and sit there until it warms again. I just ignore them. they always seem to bloom at the same time no matter what they did over the winter.

• hvaldez
    12 years ago

I agree with the above comments. My bulbs are all showing growth. Nearly every year before Christmas I see the greens come up and I am always amazed. Just let them be and they know what to do. If it gets too cold they just take a break and then when temps are just right they continue there course.

• rbook
    12 years ago

I am on Vancouver Isl. and have bulbs coming up as well...the ones the squirrels didn't get!! Hid my digging under leaf mulch and everything...they still found a lot...

• tanowicki
    12 years ago

Apparently burying them under cayenne pepper works to keep the squirrels away.