Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
premature bulbs

Posted by toad_ca z7b Bellingham, WA (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 8, 12 at 15:44

I probably didn't plant my bulbs (Hyacinths, Crocuses, and Daffodils) deeply enough in October, and some are poking through. I've been covering them up with compost and soil. Is that the right thing to do? And, at this point, I'm not sure when to let them do what they want. It's hard to believe we won't get "real winter weather" some time soon. Advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: premature bulbs

Same here, my bulbs are coming up already. I think they were tricked since we did not get any cold. I am just going to leave mine alone, let them do what they want, and enjoy them early this year.

o

Are you folks in a banana belt? Down in the Longview area, we got several weeks of very cold weather in the 20s and 30s in the first part of December. I was wearing long johns and two pairs of socks. Now we're getting quite mild weather. I guess the bulbs have gotten their chilling hours, and have decided that spring is here.

Here is a link that might be useful: wa weather

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 10, 12 at 20:46

Don't put dirt over any shoots that have already unfolded as that may screw them up. Frost I am not as concerned about, hardy bulbs that pop up during the cold time of the year are mostly pretty tolerant, otherwise they wouldn't come up then.

o

• Posted by toad_ca z7b Bellingham WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 10, 12 at 22:46

Thanks to you all. No, we're definitely NOT in a banana belt, lilydude. We've been in the 30s and 40s, though. Tonight is supposed to go below 30 out in our little micro-climate.
sasafras and bboy--I won't cover them any more, thanks. bboy, they hadn't unfolded yet, just poked through.

o

Every year mine poke up early or at the wrong time after the weather screws with their little plant minds. And again, a few have poked through and are sticking up an inch or so. I suspect they'll just pause a bit and then keep going in a month or two. The PNW weather likes to play with bulbs.

o

Yes, usually when this happens (pretty frequently) the bulbs just stop growing when it gets cold, and sit there until it warms again. I just ignore them. they always seem to bloom at the same time no matter what they did over the winter.

o

I agree with the above comments. My bulbs are all showing growth. Nearly every year before Christmas I see the greens come up and I am always amazed. Just let them be and they know what to do. If it gets too cold they just take a break and then when temps are just right they continue there course.

o

I am on Vancouver Isl. and have bulbs coming up as well...the ones the squirrels didn't get!! Hid my digging under leaf mulch and everything...they still found a lot...

o

Apparently burying them under cayenne pepper works to keep the squirrels away.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here