Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ambrosia apple tree

Posted by lisaonbainbridge 8b (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 14, 11 at 17:50

Does anyone know where I can purchase an Ambrosia apple tree? I know they originated in Canada, and am not sure how widely available they are. Sure liked the taste!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ambrosia apple tree

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 14, 11 at 21:11

My first question would be "Does it grow here?". Local markets stock cultivars shipped in from different climates, along with ones that may have been produced in this climate region.

o

According to the information I've found, this is only available in a very limited commercial production, so not for sale (yet) to the home gardener. I'd also question how well it would do west of the Cascades. It was developed in the Okanogan and is quite similar to Golden Delicious (to which it may be related) - two strikes against it for success in our much cooler-in-summer climate. It is also a late ripening variety, which complicates things further :-)

o

You are lucky. In your country there are a lot of orchards where you can buy an Ambrosia tree:

http://www.orangepippin.com/apples/ambrosia#buytab

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here