Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lanaroma

OK to plant garlic in February in Portland, OR?

LanaRoma
9 years ago

Would it make sense to plant garlic in February in Portland Metro area?

The sources I've found online all say that the planting season for garlic is from October to late November here. Apparently, the harvest time is in July.

In my home country, where we have freezing temps and snow cover for about 5 months, garlic is planted in September and harvested in late August to mid-September. My understanding was that garlic was planted in the Fall in order for it to start growing right after the snow was gone (typically early to mid-April).

Since there's no snow cover and no real frosts to speak of in Portland, my guess is that garlic planted in February could grow just fine for a harvest in late August to late September. Am I right?

This post was edited by LanaRoma on Sat, Jan 31, 15 at 13:50

Comments (19)

• briergardener_gw
    9 years ago

I was planting in Seattle, but cover with fall leaves.

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

It's been a long time since I planted any garlic. The store is easier and the flavor the same, .....unlike home grown tomatoes.
    Is there any time garlic shouldn't be planted?
    Mike

• opsitnick
    9 years ago

Go ahead and plant your garlic. It should do just fine. A little late harvest.
    GO HAWKS

• LanaRoma
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks to everyone for the responses! I'm going ahead and buying seed garlic this week. Will certainly protect the plantings from the frosts with fall leaves.

All my empty vegetable beds are covered with fall leaves to keep the weeds out. In the spring I either dig the rotting leaves in or move them to a compost heap.

Part of my reason for planting garlic and other staple vegetables is that I try to grow organic, i.e. the way I did in my old country. No Miracle-Gro or chemical pesticides here.

• briergardener_gw
    9 years ago

By biodynamic calendar next Saturday (2/7/2015) good time to plant root veggies.

• LanaRoma
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Briergardener! I've Googled biodynamic calendar: it sounds interesting. Will try to do some planting this Saturday, weather permitting.

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

How can one planting calendar cover North America and have any relevance?
    Mike

• briergardener_gw
    9 years ago

It based on moon and constellations location.

• larry_gene
    9 years ago

Then that would apply to the entire Earth.

• briergardener_gw
    9 years ago

Well, in northern hemisphere Moon is ascending when it's in constellations from Sagittarius to Gemini and descending from Gemini to Sagittarius, in southern hemisphere it's ascending from Gemini to Sagittarius and descending from Sagittarius to Gemini.

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

How's a root crop gonna know that?
    ;-)
    Mike

• briergardener_gw
    9 years ago

How ocean knows when to rise and fall tide? :-)
    You can find a lot of info on internet or you can try to use biodynamic planting calendar (if you are organic gardener) to see if observations of Maria Thun and others are correct.

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

To each his own, but it's pseudo-science, and has as much relevance to gardening as astrology, horoscopes, Ouija boards, Chinese fortune cookies, and even those eight balls that answer every question.
    Mike

• briergardener_gw
    9 years ago

Mike,
    It's up to you to believe or not believe that plants respond to same gravitational pull of tides that affect oceans, which alternately stimulates root and leaf growth.

I don't want to continue this discussion any more.

• ishcountrygal
    9 years ago

OK, in case anyone is curious about whether there's a reason to plant garlic by the moon:

"The Royal Horticultural Society's science committee cannot find a scientific basis for planting by the moon."

"Professor Tony Trewavas, a plant scientist at the Institute of Cell and Molecular Biology, University of Edinburgh, said: "Vital forces don't exist, nor does the moon exert some special influence on seedling growth."

"Biodynamic farming does emphasise soil maintenance but any good conventional farmer does the same, without the rigmarole of vital forces."

Here is a link that might be useful: From the Guardian: the moon, scientists and Prince Charles

This post was edited by IshCountryGal on Thu, Feb 5, 15 at 20:35

• briergardener_gw
    9 years ago

Biodynamic is not only about soil maintenance, Maria Thun's calendar is proving this:

"The vital question of how final crop yield is affected by sowing date has been thoroughly investigated within the bio-dynamic movement. However, deep disagreement exists amongst experts in this area. For some decades now, Maria Thun has been reporting her results in her yearly Moon calendar, which apparently show weight-yields in accord with the elements of the sidereal or star-zodiac."

Gardening by moon (proven by generation farmers before me) works for me and my friends. I am using Maria's calendar for several years.

• larry_gene
    9 years ago

Moon phases relative to calendar date will shift over time, may coincide with good weather/crops/practices in consecutive years.

• lana_roma
    9 years ago

Briergardener, thanks for the book recommendation. Well, it's known that celestial bodies affect things on our planet. Sun is the most obvious example, and Moon influences too, although to a much lesser degree.