Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thuja ID needed

Posted by mikebotann 8a SE of Seattle (mikebotann@gmail.com) on
Fri, Jan 31, 14 at 19:31

A number of years ago I acquired this thuja. It's been so long ago I have forgotten where and when.
It's a yellowish color and not variegated. In good soil and partial shade. No water problems of too much or too little. More yellow than the olive green of the old Pyramidalis.
Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thuja ID needed

Here's a close-up.
Mike

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 14:46

Has general aspect more or less like certain Thuja plicata cultivars such as 'Collyer's Gold'. Of the ones of this type 'Collyer's Gold' might be the most likely as a comparatively accessible example has been present in the Seattle arboretum for years, with rooted cuttings of it having been sold by the volunteers at the Calvert Greenhouse - in addition to others no doubt repeatedly helping themselves and putting it in local commerce.

The sprays and branching of yours is quite like 'Gelderland' but that is an assertively green form, with no yellowness - and less (or no) dwarfing of the growth.

This post was edited by bboy on Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 14:50

o

Thank you bboy. I always appreciate your knowledge and experience.
Over the years of doing new landscaping and yard makeovers I've acquired a modest variety of trees and shrubs, whatever caught my eye. If I saw something I liked I would ask for a few cuttings. More often than not, the homeowner didn't know the name of the plant. (You know) Precise nomenclature wasn't as important as it is now.
I've got another Thuja for ya later today. I'll take a picture when it gets light.
Mike..... Go HAWKS!

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 2, 14 at 14:26

Figuring out which species it is (T. occidentalis or T. plicata) would be a good initial filter. If it is actually T. occidentalis then there are dozens of yellow cultivars. After doing that then trying the conifer forum here (if not done already) will be sure to produce discussion.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here