Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pics of some fun plants in Bremerton

Posted by homernoy z8b Bemerton (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 10, 10 at 19:40

The last two winters have been pretty harsh, and you can see damage on some of the Cordylines pictured. All pics taken this weekend. Nice weather we had!

*Disclaimer: I am not trying to encourage anyone to go out and spend money on plants that may be damaged in severe cold snaps.

Male Annas hummingbird visiting the flowers and feeder, sitting on a Callistemon.
Photobucket

Knophofia northiae
Photobucket

Grevillea victoriae
Photobucket

Gardenia 'Chuck Hayes', a very hardy variety
Photobucket

Yucca gloriosa variegata
Photobucket

Mahonia 'winter sun'
Photobucket

Cordyline australis
Photobucket

Another Cordyline australis
Photobucket

Trachycapus with bare trunk
Photobucket

Eucalyptus with blue foliage
Photobucket

Butia in my yard
Photobucket

Butia x Jubaea that came through 18F without a scratch (so far)
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pics of some fun plants in Bremerton

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 11, 10 at 0:49

You really caught the color on the hummer.

o

>>*Disclaimer: I am not trying to encourage anyone to go out and spend money on plants that may be damaged in severe cold snaps.

Why not? I am.

Nice pics. Keep an eye on that BxJ. Mine died at 19 degrees, and took a couple months to look dead. Where did you get it? Do you know if it is an F1 or F2?

o
Ian

I am not sure if it is F1 or F2. Roger might know. I believe he has one as well.

Anyway, I was on the NP and S board and Roger brought up a plant sale in Kirkland, and that the seller was moving and had to get rid of some stock. He had some really nice pure Jubaea's going for around $500.00, and some unusual crosses. I got there just in time to get the last Butia x Jubaea. Maybe it's doomed, I can't tell.

I also bought this pretty good size Butia there for $50. It shows no sign of damage yet either. Again, we'll have to wait and see.

Photobucket

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 11, 10 at 23:11

Tops are hardier than roots, so a zapped plant may not show it until the top tries to grow in spring or summer - and the roots are no longer there to support it.

o

I believe the Fatsia is a good one for the Tropical look. It usually blooms in mid winter and so you seldom get seeds but some years it will make seed and you can grow a bunch more of them. It prefers some shade so the East or North side of a building are best.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fatsia

o

My big plant hobby is viticulture.
Here is one of my best so far of hybrid grapes.

Grape seedless

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here