Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yelmbackyard

Jasmine vine

yelmbackyard
14 years ago

I have a Jasmine vine that is turning blackish on the ends of the vine. Is it dying already ? This was a newly planted Jasmine vine last summer.

Comments (10)

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

If it's J. polyanthum that is not hardy here. It's probably been killed back by cold. People can grow it outside as long as it stays above, say, 20 degrees F. Mild sites near salt water, that have higher minimum temperatures than locations farther inland can grow it in the garden for some years. But eventually...

• muddydogs
    14 years ago

Jasminum stephanese survived at 5 F. A golden form of it did, too. The only hardy survivors that I know of in this genus down to 5.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

There's several species of jasmine that are listed to zone 7 and winter jasmine, Jasminum nudiflorum, is hardy down to -10F so unlikely it is any of these :-) It could quite possibly be star jasmine, Trachelospermum jasminoides, which is widely sold here as an evergreen vine. If so, this is one of those borderline hardy plants that can suffer a range of cold damage in one of our less than balmy winters, especially if relatively newly planted.

I'd wait to do anything until we get some warm temps in spring and and then trim back any winter damaged foliage. And if the vine didn't survive the winter, it should be pretty obvious at that time.

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Yes: many star jasmines around these days, that's probably what it is. I think I've seen a 15 degrees F. cutoff suggested for that one.

• hemnancy
    14 years ago

I have Jasminum officinale aureum, I went out and looked at it, it has no leaves but most of the vines are green. I have been rather disappointed in it, it didn't seem to bloom much if at all last summer. OTOH, I'm happy with my Lonicera syringantha, it has small purple very fragrant flowers. It is a shrub, but rather lax in growth.

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Yes, lilac honeysuckle is quite nice as long as you don't try to make it into a meatball and whack it back. When I worked at Flower World that's exactly what somebody had done, making all the stock of this plant on display at that time into potted stubble. Don't know why they bothered to bring them out from the production area in that condition. I probably could have sold multiple units of them if they had looked like they were supposed to. As it was I think I did not bother even pointing them out to anyone.

Unlike Trachelospermum, Jasminum officinale is deciduous. The 'Aureum' cultivar usually looks to me like it got too much sun or needs fertilizer. There are some yellow forms of garden plants that can look lovely, even ethereal. I don't think this is one of them.

When I worked at Hopkins Nursery they had a probably fairly old J. x stephanense growing up one of the posts holding up the lath house. It was impressive that it grew and bloomed in that cold, flat site, on a weird, smelly cheese-like soil.

• hemnancy
    14 years ago

I grow the lilac honeysuckle on a trellis and have to tie up branches. The leaves are not very attractive, but the tiny flowers are really cute and fragrant.

The tropical Jasmines are wonderfully fragrant, and make nice houseplants if you are good at herbaceous plants that are finicky in their watering. I am not. All my houseplants are yellow line plants- they would survive if left on the highway.

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

The clean-looking, almost prim leaves are much of the appeal of lilac honeysuckle. It is not a climbing plant.

Jasmines are woody plants, rather than herbaceous. The main problem with J. polyanthum as a house plant is that it needs cool temperatures to set flower buds.

• hemnancy
    14 years ago

Sorry, my herbaceous term is more about the leaves being thin rather than succulent, perhaps not a strict use of the term. It dries out quickly and doesn't recover unlike my orchid cacti, Hoya's or Stapelia's.

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Two of those are considered actual succulent plants. Herbaceous means non-woody.