Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lauriek123

Anyone have tips for great summer squash

LaurieK123
12 years ago

Does anyone has any great tips or personal experience for great squash I would love to hear it. I am a new gardner and I am interested in everything you would like to share. I am in Oregon, Rogue Valley, ie...

What kind of:

compost do you use

fertizer

mulch; organic, colored plastic

types you like

Do you transplant...if so; how many weeks ahead of the garden do you start them?

Thank you so much!

Comments (8)

• dottyinduncan
    12 years ago

We grow Acorn Squash, our favorites. Last year, the best crop ever began with a lasagna bed, brand new. I had transplants, so I dug a hole in the bed, added good compost and bunged in two plants, actually too close together. This was very late May or early June. By the end of the summer the plants were at least 20 feet by 20 feet and I harvested 45 lovely squash. I've been giving them away to good friends and eating them roasted with salt, pepper and butter on them. Delicious!
    btw, even though we had no rain during July and August, I barely watered them, yet they grew so huge. I love squash, they are so easy to grow and seem to be carefree, except for Bambi of course.

• hvaldez
    12 years ago

In my experience, the best place in my garden ended up being the south facing front of our house that is typically the hottest. I mix in a bag of chicken manure and a bag of compost (if you produce your own that would probably work too) in to the soil. I have had my best results in that location for a few years now. Previously I tried summer squash in raised beds with not much success. I have started seeds in the ground and it was great but I usually buy them already started at a local nursery since our summer weather is somewhat unpredictable and shorter lately.

• larry_gene
    12 years ago

Territorial Seed Company, not terribly far from you, has very specific advice in their catalog, and a good variety of summer squash.

• janezee
    12 years ago

You want to start with zucchini, black, green, or my favorite, yellow. It makes you feel like a pro from the beginning. The real trick is to keep it picked. It will produce and produce if you don't let it get big.
    Try to plant where damp won't settle on it at night, and it gets lots of sun during the day. It needs 2 seeds per hill, with good compost added to the soil, or Mel's Mix of 1/3 compost, 1/3 vermiculite. and 1/3 peat or coir. If you don't have the other 2, straight compost will be great. I always add a little bone meal. No fertilizer is needed. Just water from below, or mornings only, so the leaves don't get wet and stay that way, or you might get powdery mildew. If that happens, pull the plants and replant ASAP. The leaves usually grow so fast, they will shade out the weeds, but if they don't, newspaper works as mulch. Grass clippings, too.

You can let it sprawl on the ground, or grow up a trellis. Lots more information on the web. Google is your friend. 8-)

• noelle_pdx
    12 years ago

My most successful summer squash has been Early Prolific Yellow Straightneck, a bush variety. It's a little prone to powdery mildew but still pumps out a good 8 weeks of constant squash production.

-- Squash LOVE LOVE LOVE compost. The best squash I've ever grown was seeded straight into a compost pile. Second best was in a spot formerly occupied by an old apple tree and had 40+ years of decomposed apples as the soil.

-- They're not too fond of transplanting. Try to get them in the ground only a couple of weeks after germination, or direct seed in the ground.

-- Don't plant too early, cold will stunt their growth and allow the slugs to really massacre the leaves. In southern Oregon around May 15 is probably OK, but you might want to ask local gardeners and pay attention to the weather.If night temps are still dipping into the 40s, it's too cold for squash without protection.

-- Water at the base of the plant to slow the arrival/spread of powdery mildew. Don't freak out if all your plants get it by September, however; powdery mildew is just the normal final life stage of squash in the PNW. It saps the strength of the plant, slowing production, but doesn't affect the quality of fruit.

• oliveoyl3
    12 years ago

Great tips everyone & just what this forum needs -- positive & practical information for growing plants in our unique PNW climate!

I've used black plastic as mulch for zucchini & cucumbers where you prep soil with lots of compost, cover & let it heat up for a few weeks. Then I cut X in plastic & folded back to transplant starts. Watering wasn't as easy, so after that 1st year we inserted an upside down 2 liter bottle or milk jug (bottoms removed) 12" or so away from the plants to fill with the hose. Our kids were eager to water & we were washing away the soil with their enthusiasm. An even better improvement might be to put a soaker under the black plastic. Be sure to bait for slugs!

The last few years I haven't used the plastic, but lots of mulch & burlap bags instead, but might again this summer season for the heat effect.

Corrine

• madrone
    12 years ago

I realize you asked for varieties of summer squash. But also consider planting a winter squash called "Sunshine". It is sweet with a slightly smokey taste, stores really well and makes delicious soups and veggie dishes. It won the 2004 award. During my annual plant sale, I have standing orders for plants and the rest sell out really quickly. It is available from Park Seeds and T&M, plus some others.

• plainolebill
    12 years ago

Squash love manure. We tried some trombocino last summer and it was great, insane yields and very tasty, just don't let the fruit get too big. The vines needs a trellis and a big one at that. The fruit is long with a ball on the end, all the seeds are in the ball so the long neck has no seeds whatsover and is very firm. It actually freezes very well because it has much less water content than a traditional summer squash.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus