Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beckbunch_gw

What vine do I plant on this?

beckbunch
14 years ago

I would love some input. We have a hot tub structure that my husband built a trellis around. I added some stained glass windows. We'd like to cover the trellis with a dense vine (doesn't have to be evergreen) and just cut the vine from around the windows.

http://scravings.blogspot.com/2009/09/courtyard-getting-closer.html

I'm thinking maybe Boston Ivy. Bad idea? The south side gets good sun, but the other sides are shaded from the house and guest house.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Eileen

Comments (8)

• dottyinduncan
    14 years ago

No suggestions for vines, but what a wonderful job you have done on the courtyard! Love the blog..

• plantknitter
    14 years ago

I don't see much issue with shade.

Do you want an herbaceous vine, or one that leaves some woody structure overwinter?

• beckbunch
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think I'd like something that leaves some woody structure. I'm open to suggestions though. I want some good coverage during the summer, so I don't know if there's anything that would grow that much in one season....but I'm a novice gardener, so maybe there is!

Is Boston Ivy a bad idea?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

Boston ivy (or Virginia creeper) would not be my first choice only because its manner of growth and attachment is not well-suited to a trellis structure. It doesn't really 'vine' but attaches itself with adhesive pads that are modified root structures. As you might imagine, this is much more successfully accomplished on a wider surface than a trellis provides - you could certainly train the ivy up and over the structure but it will take attention on your part and some assistance with attachment.

I'd consider grapes, akebia or one of the honeysuckles. All are quite vigorous and should cover the structure and they do vine on their own, needing minimal help from you to do so. Akebia is often semi-evergreen in our climate and the flowers are fragrant although appear quite early. And there are are many very fragrant selections of honesuckle which seem to be most fragrant in the evening......I'd consider that a plus for a hot tub structure :-)

• beckbunch
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you so much for the advice! Are akebia and honeysuckles very messy as far as leaves and flowers dropping off? I've never had an akebia. Is there a certain variety you'd recommend? At another house, we had a Hall's Honeysuckle and quite liked it. I can't remember how large that got, but that may be a good option. What is your favorite honeysuckle?

Thank you!

• beckbunch
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Also, what about an ornamental kiwi? or a hops?

• ian_wa
    14 years ago

Hops would work but it dies to the ground every winter and the dead parts remaining on the trellis might be considered a pain to clean up. Any vine is going to create a certain amount of mess - with hops it would be more of a once-a-year clean up job.

Kiwifruit would also work. The ornamental 'Arctic Beauty' Kiwi (A. kolomikta male) colors best in partial shade. If you're shooting for fruit, you should plant a male and a female of the same species. For the best fruit production you would want to train them up and onto a horizontal trellis/pergola/whatever. With them growing up vertically you would probably still get some fruit, but a lot less.

I don't really know that much about Honeysuckle, but my favorite is Lonicera henryi, which is semi-evergreen and to me has much better looking leaves than most of the others. The flowers are sort of a dusky yellow/purple.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

My favorite honeysuckle is Lonicera periclymenum 'Serotina' (actually var. serotina) or 'Serotina Florida'........dark pink buds open to creamy yellow flowers. Very floriferous and extremely fragrant. And the hummingbirds love it!