Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moandtg

What is your favorite garden/arboretum?

moandtg
13 years ago

Hello,

So, I have only been to a couple of gardens/arboretum's and wanted to ask about what your favorite ones were and what you liked about them.

I like the Desert Botanical Gardens in Phoenix. So different from what we have here in PNW.... Sky so blue, light and airy feeling as opposed to the multiple hues of green we have here.

Buechart Gardens on Vancouver Island were nice but too manicured for my taste....

I visited the Washington Park Arboretum in Seattle today, quickly but thought it was very nice....

Hoyt Arboretum in Portland is my favorite though, just due to familiarity and how surrounded it is by Forest Park... Such an extensive trail system and I got to marry my Wife and have our reception there just last summer so Hoyt is my favorite.

Mike

Comments (13)

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

By far the premier collection in the region is the Washington Park Arboretum in Seattle. After that the combined resources of the UBC Botanical Garden and the Van Dusen Botanical Display Garden in Vancouver are significant.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

I like the Rhododendron Species Foundation garden in Federal Way but then I'm attracted by shade palnts/gardens anyway. And there's a lot more there than just rhodies - all manner of shade loving plants are featured. The other public garden I enjoyed thoroughly is the Huntington Garden in San Marco, CA. It is huge and features a number of themed areas - the cactus and succulent collection is one of the largest in the world and is stunning in winter. If you like those types of plants, there is another excellent but much smaller succulent botanical garden in Palm Springs, Moorten Botanical garden. The UBC garden in Vancouver is excellent as well.

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

Unless they changed back it became the Rhododendron Species Botanical Garden some years ago. "The Hunt" is in San Marino, east of L.A. Has been said to contain the world's largest outdoor cactus and succulent collection. That is certainly one of the most striking parts of the grounds. But the whole estate is a big showplace built by a rich guy quite awhile ago, and outfitted with irrigation. There are multiple large impressive specimens and theme gardens within it. And non-horticultural collections (paintings etc.) that are destinations in themselves.

It being down there, much of the plant assortment is not the same as the one we use up here.

• hallerlake
    13 years ago

The RSBG and the Huntington are my favorites, too.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

I have not managed to visit nearly as many as I'd like to.

I love Butchart Gardens in BC, I'm not normally a fan of bedding annuals but I've been there in spring, summer and fall and it is just outstanding every time. I've been to Van Dusen Botanical Garden and Minter Gardens also in BC but Butchart is my favorite.

I do love the DBG in Phoenix, I was just there again in October. The photos are from a previous trip in April 2005.
    They are thumbnails that will expand when clicked.

• bahia
    13 years ago

Don't slight the San Francisco Bay Area! Our local botanic gardens are pretty impressive in my view, and just here in Berkeley/Oakland area we have the UC Berkeley Botanic Garden, the Tilden Botanic Garden(native plants from across the state), and the Palmetum at Lake Merritt in Oakland, and if you stretch the boundaries a bit, the Ruth Bancroft Garden in nearby Walnut Creek is a pretty impressive garden of succulents grown in USDA zone 9a/8b conditions. The collections at the San Francisco Botanic garden(formerly known as Strybing) have some of the best/biggest specimens of various Magnolias to be seen in the world, and the rest of the gardens are the perfect blend of both more temperate, mediterranean and subtropical/cloud forest plant communities that can't really be seen all in one place in another west coast garden. I'd also highly recommend the UC Santa Cruz Botanic Garden for an outstanding collection of Australian and South African plants, and the Proteas/Leucadendrons/Leucospermums are a sight to behold starting now into April/May.

My favorite native plants garden for the setting alone would have to include the Santa Barbara Botanic Garden up in Mission Canyon, and if you are in Santa Barbara, making an advance reservation to get into the Ganna Walska Lotus Land Garden in Montecito is not to be missed.

If you are down in the Pasadena area and want to see the Huntington in nearby San Marino, the nearby Los Angeles County Arboretum is also worth seeing. Not a botanic garden, but the Norton Simon Museum in Pasadena is also a beautiful garden setting with lots of outdoor sculpture, and the Getty Museum garden is worth seeking out as well.

• hemnancy
    13 years ago

Since you in Portland, some nice trails are at the Audubon Society, for hiking in old growth forest.

In Vancouver, WA, actually Ridgefield, there is the Ridgefield National Wildlife Refuge. The last time we went we had to stay in the car and just drive through, but saw various wildlife, mostly birds, but we did see some nutria.

A nice small garden for a stroll is the Bishop's Close garden in Portland. It is interesting in having mostly perennial types of plants and shrubs, unlike Butchart Gardens which is almost exclusively annuals all in sheets of color. I also enjoy going to the Portland
    rose garden and walking around. Also in the general area are the Hulda Klager Lilac Gardens, in Woodland,
    WA, nice when the lilacs are blooming, and a number of bulb gardens like the Wooden Shoe east of Woodburn off I-5, which has a Tulip festival in spring.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bishop's Close

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

When I went to Butchart in spring when the bulbs were blooming I was surprised at how many flowering trees and shrubs were in bloom too. Don't really notice how many there are when the annuals are in full swing. It was the same in fall. Loads of tree and shrub fall color.

I like the Oregon Garden and both the Japanese and Chinese gardens in Portland. I always go to the Hulda Klager Lilac Garden when they are blooming too.

I'm ashamed to admit I've never been to the Bishop's Close nor the Hoyt Arboretum.

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

Gasp! I'm getting out the stocks!!

• moandtg
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well,

Well, you should go for a walk through Hoyt Arboretum. Not surprising to not see the sights of your own city, though. I never went to the tourist attractions where I grew up and have explored more of what Portland/Oregon have to offer than what Natives have. (Assuming you are a native there....) In any event, one seems to take the place they live more for granted.

Mike

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

Native to Portland but spent fifteen years in Phoenix AZ.

• project_sideways
    13 years ago

I had a chance to visit the Ganna Walska Garden several years ago and it is definitely my favorite to visit, though you have to plan well. I just had a chance to check out the Norton Simon Museum garden a few weeks ago and it was also impressive. The Midred Matthias garden on the campus of UCLA is worth a visit if you are in the area. I used to be a docent at the Ruth Bancroft Garden so that is a personal favorite. Also in the bay area, the UC botanical garden in Berkeley is always impressive.

Locally, I love the Bishop's Close garden in Dunthorpe just south of downtown Portland. Next favorite in the area is the Leech on the east side. Crystal Springs Rhododendron Garden is third. Not a botanic garden, but the Joy Creek Nursery garden is nice in summer. On the coast, the Connie Hanson garden in Lincoln City is always on my list to visit, then further on down in CA I love the Mendocino coast botanical garden.

Just too many to name and enjoy.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

My husband and I always go to Crystal Springs on Mother's Day weekend. It is so pretty.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida