Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geoffhazel

How to repair slippery grass path?

geoffhazel
9 years ago

Along the side of our house, in the shade, is a strip of the yard and is how we get to the back yard. It's a slope downhill to the back yard. It's planted with grass, and doesn't do too well in the winter. Now the grass is very thin, and trying to get back there in the winter is tough, because the dirt's exposed and it's quite slippery.

I'm trying to figure out how to make it safe to walk on until the grass starts growing again in the spring. I'd rather not pave it if I can help it, is there anything I can spread on there to give traction without destroying the lawn?

Comments (8)

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

The problem is it is too narrow and dark etc. of an area for grass. You need to replace the grass with a suitable surface, maybe even steps.

• larry_gene
    9 years ago

Spreading enough of the various small gravels to prevent slippage could help; the grass will grow back right through it. But it would then need to be mowed with care later on.

I agree with terracing/steps for a long-term solution.

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

3/8 chips with no minus should do it. You don't want sand in the gravel. It will track into the house.
    If trees are shading the area in addition to the house, your situation will get worse in the future.
    Mike

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Notice also that the rest of us on this thread are indicating our USDA zones as being 8. This is the correct zone for Seattle.

• annab39
    9 years ago

Here are two ideas, the first is to roll out some of the roofing material that has a very rough surface and comes in rolls about 24 inches wide. Will not let the grass grow through but will provide a non slip surface. It is also quite inexpensive. I use it on the stairs that are made of rail road ties and it works beautifully and has lasted for 9 years and still looks new.

The second idea is to check at Lowes or Home Depot for plastic lath - strongest you can find and lay it on the grass. The grass will grow right through and the lath can be removed when the path dries out - or not! lol This tip is from a European web site for disabled gardeners.

Here is a link that might be useful: AccessibleGardens

• hallerlake
    9 years ago

If you really want grass there, you could try installing grass pavers. You can get plastic or concrete pavers.

• enith
    9 years ago

I had very similar situation at my house in Woodinville: narrow strip of grass along NE wall with no direct sun except for few hours in Summer months. Place would always be very soggy and slippery and walking on it during wet season meant sinking up to ankles in mud. The only permanent solution that worked was to remove sod and create a garden bed along the wall and a gravel path along that new bed. Maybe it's not something you want to do but in my experience lawn rarely does decent in shady sites like this.
    I just noticed your name. Are you, by any chance, with SIR?

• catkin
    9 years ago

Bark it!