Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
galcho

Advice on lilac

galcho
16 years ago

I have planted daphne "Summer Ice" in the corner of my backyard and want to plant lilac in this area. Area is getting some afternoon sun. What lilac will fit for this? How far from daphne should i plan to plant lilac? What else (low maintenance) can i plant in this area?

Thank you all, i enjoy reading on NW Gardening forum.

Comments (8)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    16 years ago

I'm not sure this would be the best location for a lilac. All would prefer to be in full sun and you will generate the best flowering from such a position. And depending on selection, lilacs can get to be quite large shrubs in time - 15' tall and 8-10' wide is not at all uncommon for Syringa vulgaris, the common or French lilacs. There are dwarf lilacs available, like 'Miss Kim' or 'Tinkerbell', but to me they don't produce the same big flowerheads and intensity of aroma that old fashioned lilacs do.

But they all require more than a just a few hours of afternoon sun.

• reg_pnw7
    16 years ago

Lilacs are full sun plants. 'Some afternoon sun' won't be enough.

There are dwarf lilacs as mentioned, and I like them, but they don't have the same flowers as the full size shrubs. Smaller, narrower tubes, different fragrance. Full size lilacs are 10-15ft shrubs.

Sarcoccoca will take lots of shade, and is very fragrant, but in winter.

Sounds like a good spot for a rhodie or camellia or hardy fuchsia, but none of these are fragrant.

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

I simply do not have room for "real" Lilacs so I planted a 'Miss Kim' and though she isn't quite as fragrant and her flowers aren't quite as big, I do love her. She is about ten years old and under 5' tall and 4' wide. She does get almost full sun.

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

5-8 ft. Syringa x laciniata is a little more interesting because it has divided leaves.

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

bboy, I have never seen that one. I looked it up, you are right; interesting foliage. I'll keep my eyes open. I want a 'Tinkerbelle' too.

• galcho
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for information, i'll think about it.

• jlegre_aol_com
    12 years ago

I have five large lilacs in my front yard. I would like to downsize a couple of them but don't know if its safe to prune. They have never been trimmed and I need to know when to do it .
    thanks

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

Lilacs aren't a shrub you can shear like boxwood or privet to keep smaller unless you want to lose the flowers....

You can prune out some of the suckers or oldest stems from the ground but trying to keep large growers small isn't going to work.

PS you should start your own thread instead of bringing up one that is several years old. You'll get more answers.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living