Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advice on lilac

Posted by galcho z8 Northwest (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 24, 08 at 9:43

I have planted daphne "Summer Ice" in the corner of my backyard and want to plant lilac in this area. Area is getting some afternoon sun. What lilac will fit for this? How far from daphne should i plan to plant lilac? What else (low maintenance) can i plant in this area?

Thank you all, i enjoy reading on NW Gardening forum.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advice on lilac

I'm not sure this would be the best location for a lilac. All would prefer to be in full sun and you will generate the best flowering from such a position. And depending on selection, lilacs can get to be quite large shrubs in time - 15' tall and 8-10' wide is not at all uncommon for Syringa vulgaris, the common or French lilacs. There are dwarf lilacs available, like 'Miss Kim' or 'Tinkerbell', but to me they don't produce the same big flowerheads and intensity of aroma that old fashioned lilacs do.

But they all require more than a just a few hours of afternoon sun.

o

Lilacs are full sun plants. 'Some afternoon sun' won't be enough.

There are dwarf lilacs as mentioned, and I like them, but they don't have the same flowers as the full size shrubs. Smaller, narrower tubes, different fragrance. Full size lilacs are 10-15ft shrubs.

Sarcoccoca will take lots of shade, and is very fragrant, but in winter.

Sounds like a good spot for a rhodie or camellia or hardy fuchsia, but none of these are fragrant.

o

I simply do not have room for "real" Lilacs so I planted a 'Miss Kim' and though she isn't quite as fragrant and her flowers aren't quite as big, I do love her. She is about ten years old and under 5' tall and 4' wide. She does get almost full sun.

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 25, 08 at 9:56

5-8 ft. Syringa x laciniata is a little more interesting because it has divided leaves.

o

bboy, I have never seen that one. I looked it up, you are right; interesting foliage. I'll keep my eyes open. I want a 'Tinkerbelle' too.

o

• Posted by galcho z8 Northwest (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 25, 08 at 18:12

Thank you for information, i'll think about it.

o

I have five large lilacs in my front yard. I would like to downsize a couple of them but don't know if its safe to prune. They have never been trimmed and I need to know when to do it .
thanks

o

Lilacs aren't a shrub you can shear like boxwood or privet to keep smaller unless you want to lose the flowers....

You can prune out some of the suckers or oldest stems from the ground but trying to keep large growers small isn't going to work.

PS you should start your own thread instead of bringing up one that is several years old. You'll get more answers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here