Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Big fruit tree, where to buy

Posted by briergardener 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 13, 13 at 12:04

I have removed old pear tree and want to plant there plum tree. Is it possible to buy tree that is 4-5 years and big enough to give some shade to the area and fruit of course.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Big fruit tree, where to buy

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 12:41

Since these are fast-growing you should just buy a normal garden center size and wait a few years for it to develop.

o

Thank you, bboy. I'll think about it

o

Even first year fruit trees can produce fruit although you are encouraged to remove any to hasten establishment. Also, the vast majority sold these days are dwarf and semi-dwarf trees.....not ideal for much shade production :-) You could also try Big Trees in Snohomish - they sometimes have more mature fruit trees as well as ornamentals. But you will pay for additional age and size.

o

Raintree Nursery in Morton sells large potted fruit trees. It's a drive from Seattle but it's a nice drive, and they have a lot of stuff. No delivery though - you'll have to be able to haul it yourself.

Plum trees do tend to grow very fast, as bboy says.

o

• Posted by saly Z7, NW, USA (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 3, 13 at 22:19

I have apple tree which is grafted with 4 varieties. It is dwarf fruiting and took 3 years after we brought it to actually fruit. But fruits in abundance now. size of the fruit is getting better and now it has started fruiting every year as compared to last years when it fruited only alternate years.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 4, 13 at 10:55

For bigger fruit thin each cluster.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here