Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ribes laurifolium

Posted by cloud_shine 7b Willamette Vly OR (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 20, 10 at 12:15

Is anyone else growing the evergreen laurel currant (Ribes laurifolium)? Although mine is barely 18 in. high and has only been in the ground a couple of years, it is already flowering profusely. The flowers came out before the beginning of February and still look great. The book says that it will eventually get 4-6 ft. high, but it appears that it doesnt have to be mature before putting on a plenty of blooms..

The leaves are quite large and leathery for such a small plant. The habit is spreading but still restrained. Mine gets about a half days sun in the summer but is in a wind-protected area. It got down to about 10F here this winter and last year we had over 2 feet of snow on the ground for several weeks. It came through both of those seasons with flying colors.

Id recommend this to anyone looking for an evergreen winter-blooming shrub in our climate.

Ribes laurifolium

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ribes laurifolium

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 20, 10 at 17:44

I've known and grown this for years, although I would have to check to see if I still have one here at this time. There are related species on the local market now, too.

Yours is getting notched by weevils, which means it may also have grubs gnawing the roots. Removing the potting medium and inspecting the roots might be a good idea.

If it is near overhanging conifers or architecture moving it out away from that could also produce a reduction in their attentions.

o

Thanks bboy, I will check out the possibility of "critters" in my little shrub. But it will probably stay where it's at ... overhanging conifers and all. I can put up with a few notches. After all, I'm not on the garden tour ... lol.

o

I love my Ribes laurifolium, too! Got it from Heronswood 7 or 8 years ago. I've increased my supply easily by layering (pegging stems down on the ground) and cuttings. It's a welcome early bloomer, and I've had no trouble with it in cold winters (to 5 degrees) of Upper Skagit Valley.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here