Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dawnbc

Viburnum Davidii

dawnbc
17 years ago

I have several bushes that had some of their leaves turn brown from one of the blasts of winter. Do they bounce back quickly? I've noticed other bushes on the block that have the same winter damage but there are also plenty that still look good.

This is my first winter in this house and I'm not too impressed with these bushes. Just wondering if I should give them a chance or replace with something else.

Comments (15)

• drcindy
    17 years ago

I planted 3 of these in my side yard way back when and now only have 1 surviving. If the leaves turn brown, they are dead and will not bounce back. Prune them off. My 2 plants that died did so gradually- 1/3 of the plant would turn brown like you described. I'm not sure if mine were diseased; I do recall some spots on the leaves. I chose to replace my viburnum with different, more interesting things. Over the years, I've discovered that viburnum davidii is used heavily around commercial buildings. That always lessens my interests in specific plants, as I like to find things that are not widely used by others, especially businesses!

• hemnancy
    17 years ago

Mine never have die-back, they are over 14 years old. They are a nice evergreen but overgrow our walkway every year and have to be cut back, which is a nuisance. Ours do get the pretty blue berries. If you like something else better, go for it. I am looking for some shrubs with fragrant flowers or leaves.

• Embothrium
    17 years ago

This one is not appealing unless quite happy.

• Embothrium
    17 years ago

And you plant mostly females.

• muddysocks
    17 years ago

Mine experience leaf scorch from cold and sun and I just clip them off. I like these shrubs because they have fairly large leaves and can take the sun without a lot of water so I use them in mixed plantings.

If you want to keep them just snip off the brown leaves. If on the other hand you don't necessarily like them then replace them with something you love. Life's too short!

• dawnbc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The two in the backyard will be coming out as soon as I find a replacement. At least three quarters of the shrubs are brown and have looked ugly for two months. They're on view from my windows all the time.

There are two more out front but they're not as bad so I'll give them some more time to redeem themselves.

• Embothrium
    17 years ago

Winter burn doesn't disappear on its own until new growth is made which partly covers it up and/or the old burnt leaves drop off. Neither of these will happen until the growing season (spring-summer) has been underway for some time.

• schizac
    17 years ago

Ron, are V. davidii labeled male/female in nurseries here? Dirr says clones are labeled as such in the UK.

• Embothrium
    17 years ago

I don't remember seeing them differentiated like that in ordinary practice, unlike 'Dwarf Male' and 'Dwarf Female' skimmias.

• monicar
    15 years ago

I mass planted a dozen of these on a hillside. I like the broad, evergreen leaves and blue fall berries. All are growing well. Spring bloom is nothing to write home about, but the berries are really cool.

• lossman34_sbcglobal_net
    13 years ago

I have several Viburnums planted about 15 years ago. The last couple of years they have slowly been dying. Now there are several healthy shoots coming around the edges of the planting area. The original shrubs are almost bare. Should I trim the dying shrubs severely (to ground level) and let the new shoots gradually take over? Thank you.

• Llanwenlys
    13 years ago

drcindy
    It's an interesting point you make about the natural reluctance one feels to have plants that are planted industrially everywhere. And yet.

When we moved out to the country it re-ignited my hibernating love of plants. With acreage one could literally spend a fortune on plants making the garden of your heart's desire, but since that was not possible I got into salvaging plants discarded by others, especially in the old Portland neighborhoods. Two of those throw-aways were Viburnum davidii. I was aware from my many walks around Emanuel hospital that they were common foundation plants, along with yew, cotoneaster, ilex crenata, rhodies, azaleas, deutzia etc. But I have put aside my prejudice and come to love plants that offer leaf texture, green shelter, shape, etc. I planted the two Viburnum on a north facing slope next to a huge (salvage) culinary sage and the contrast in their (very healthy) leaf color is beautiful.

On my nearly hour's drive to Portland every day I have come to realize that some of the most splendid and healthy plants can be found in the most ugly and prosaic places, such bordering gas stations and strip malls: mammoth, gloriously trimmed privets, Otto Luyken laurel, mahonia, arborvitae, trite old flowering cherries, etc.

I guess I'm saying all plants have something to offer, and tastes change over a lifetime of carefully looking at plants. At least for me.

• botann
    13 years ago

As bboy says, "This one is not appealing unless happy".
    I agree. They are usually displayed in commercial plantings of the cheapest kinds. No topsoil, minimum water, and all day sun next to blacktop. Even when it's happy, it's usually not given enough room to grow to it's potential before having to be pruned back.
    Grown well, it has it's virtues.
    Mike
    {{gwi:1069181}}

• botann
    13 years ago

Looks like I didn't give them enough room myself. I'm gonna have to prune them back a bit to keep them from growing out over the driveway. I will NOT be shearing them.
    This whole area needs more plants.
    Mike....still learning.

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

The bamboo is also getting in the way. Black bamboo and yellow groove bamboo are particularly good at bending way down over adjacent access routes when laden with water droplets.

But the contrast in leaf size and growth habit between the viburnum and the bamboo in your planting is excellent.