Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting my shed in February?

Posted by Merilia 8 PNW (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 9, 12 at 12:37

I ordered some bare root roses that I would like to grow up a trellis on the side of my shed. At the moment, I haven't put the trellis up yet, but I want to paint the shed first because it is hideous.

The paint I want to use says it should be between 50 and 90 degrees outside when I apply it. Unless we get another weekend like the last one I doubt we'll see temperatures like that on a sunny weekend day before I need to put the roses in (because I don't want them to break dormancy before I plant them). How much of a problem would it be for me to go ahead and paint my shed on the very next non-rainy weekend day we get? Will the paint simply not dry? Or will there be other problems like adhesion or coverage? I was planning to use some basic exterior latex paint.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting my shed in February?

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 9, 12 at 13:28

Yes, you should wait until the warm season to paint. Roses are easy to move when not leafy, maybe grow them (in the ground) someplace else this summer and plant them next to the shed next winter.

o

Save yourself some headaches and use good quality exterior paint. My can of Sherwin Williams Duration says it can be applied when temps are as low as 35 F. Metal siding needs to be 50 F.

For more info Google 'Duration paint'. Consumer Reports also rates paint.

o

The best suggestion is to plant the roses in large pots for now, and not put them in the ground until the shed is painted. To some extent you could work around them if you planted them first, IF you're doing the work yourself, but best is to not put them in harm's way. It's not going to be reliably warm and dry enough to paint anytime soon and if it is, the roses are going to start growing.

o

I've applied latex paint in what is February weather here. Those conditions are summer weather where I was (Alaska), so there wasn't much choice. It is not a problem except the paint will take longer to dry.

Bonus unsolicited advice: Always use the best paint you can afford. Cheap paint isn't really a bargain. :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here