Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is a good fruit tree for a big, big pot

Posted by flora2 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 10, 09 at 12:39

I would love to have another fruit tree in my back yard. I have enough sun (as much as we get in Seattle)but not a great deal of space. I know trees are happier in the ground, but could you humour me and suggest something that might live semi happily in a big, big pot? I do have a fig and a pear tree in the ground and I keep those "smallish" with some prunning. I'd love to have something a little more "exotic" (I know that is subjective) and hardy in the PNW. Am I asking too much? I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is a good fruit tree for a big, big pot

The main problem in our area growing any type of fruit tree is that we keep forgetting to turn the tap off and so it rains all the time!! In a pot the size of a half whisky barrel you could grow the following. Make sure they are grafted onto dwarfing root stock such as M9 M26, M27 or Pixy and then they won't bolt on you. Make sure you stake the tree because the dwarfing union isn't all that strong, place a mulch on the top and use a slow release fertilizer such as Osmocote 14-14-14. Then sit back and enjoy the tree. Why not try a pomegranate or a persimmon? A Dolgo crabapple or a Stella cherry? Place annuals all around the base with smaller spring bulbs growing through. Very classy.

o

Columnar apples are excellent choices for containers. And while not really trees, so are blueberries. But neither are very 'exotic' :-) Dwarf citrus also do well in containers but need some sort of winter protection. Perhaps placing your container on a dolly or attaching heavy duty casters to something like the half whiskey barrel would facilitate movement.

Any of the dwarf or minidwarf fruit trees should do well in large containers. Check to see if your choices need a second type for pollination. There's a number of different exotic fruiting plants typically available at local nurseries and seem to be more available each year but most of these tend to be shrubs or vines rather than trees.....maybe you might want to consider enlarging your choices.

The other consideration with growing fruit in small spaces is to espalier the various trees. It takes some time for training and attention to pruning but you can get a lot of different trees in to very small spaces this way. You could actually construct an espaliered fence around your backyard.

o

Meyer lemon works just fine in a pot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here