Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dottyinduncan

Best peach tree?

dottyinduncan
13 years ago

I planted a dwarf peach a few years ago and was thrilled with the taste of the peaches, but not so thrilled with the curly leaf the last couple of years. So, I want to get another one that I can plant close to the barn where I will be able to protect it from our cold, wet springs. It will be against a south facing wall. I'd appreciate suggestions. It's snowing today and it seems like a good day to plan such things.

Comments (7)

• tcstoehr
    13 years ago

I have an Oregon Curl Free that I don't ever spray. It only minimal signs of Peach Leaf Curl each year. It provides a reliable crop of peaches each year that I would only consider useful for fresh eating since that are ever so soft and juicy.

• dottyinduncan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out at our local nursery.

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

The peach tree is not a one for those who do not want to do any coddling. Best bet in our climate training flat on a sunny wall, with an overhang to keep the damp off.

• tallclover
    13 years ago

Doty, I'd seek out peach leaf curl resistant varieties so you don't have to spray or worry about leaf curl.

I think I've planted every resistant variety there is and have had pretty good luck with Frost, Avalon Pride, Charlotte and Indian Free to name a few.

There's a new Canadian PLC resistant variety called Nanaimo, you may check your local nurseries for that one.

In the link below, I list my results (some pics) and the varieties I've grown in the Seattle area. Good Luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Updates on curl peach leaf curl resistant varieties I grow

• dottyinduncan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tall Clover, thanks for the info. I'm very curious about the Nanaimo Peach! We live very close to Nanaimo and are already jealous of their delicious Nanaimo Bars, and now they have an interesting peach named after it. Obviously it would be a peach developed for our weather so should be good for us. I guess Duncan Peach doesn't sound as exotic as Nanaimo Peach....darn.

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

Hi Dotty, I am about to plant a new(to me) peach tree from a gent who sells them just down the road from me. Intersting enough, I met a couple who live the other> way down the road, and they have planted a peach tree next to their house, and trained it to come up under the front door porch, so it is very protected and has a lot of light that comes from a glass roof!! The peaches start earlier and humming birds are attracted, and the peaches are double the size of any other ones early in the year!!! So I have built a porch roof and am being a copy cat!!! Hopefully it will work okay, I do not have a closed in(sides) as they do but(so I'm sure is warmer) but we shall see! I think he charges a buck a ft, and has some with grafted branches of diff varieties.

• kingskawn
    7 years ago

Would anyone be willing to send me some scion wood of this Nanaimo peach overseas? (Belgium) I can't find it on the old continent. Thanks!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting