Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bahia_gw

Under-rated cold hardy palms

bahia
12 years ago

Chamaerops humilis, or the Mediterranean Fan Palm is an under-rated trunking fan palm here in northern California, where one seldom sees larger trunked specimens in residential landscapes. They are a dime a dozen in southern California, where most people usually prefer more tropical looking palms. On the other hand, they can be very dramatic with great age, as they are used along the shore lines of Lakes Como and Maggiore in northern Italy adjacent the Alps. As the Lakes District is very similar in climatic extremes to the coastal influenced areas of the PNW, it is worth remembering that Chamaerops can get tree sized with enough time or initial money for a specimen. It might be worth thinking of shipping specimen sizes from California up north if you just can't wait; prices are very reasonable for larger sizes of this palm compared to most others.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mediterranean Fan Palm with trunks

Comments (7)

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

People are already sending up big ones, with multiple bigger-than-in-the-recent-past examples now being visible from public streets - but European fan palm dies back in colder winters here. Even an older clump at the Carl English Garden at the government locks in Seattle froze down to near the ground in 1990. It is planted just about as close to the water as possible, with a large area of pavement to provide warmth during the day, on close to the mildest possible site (except for the soil being heavy). It re-sprouted by any height that had been built up over the years was lost.

I tried a one gallon specimen of the gray form against a south wall on Camano Island. It dawdled for a short time and then froze out. An equally small windmill palm planted in another part of the site, not near a sheltering wall is now maybe 3' tall. This is normal here, plantings of multiple genera of palms done on sites other than those being managed by palm nuts willing to fiddle with them typically end up being boiled down to just windmill palms.

• winsorw
    12 years ago

I concure with Bboy, Windmill palm is the only palm that grows well in the PNW. I tried many and most died. Last year, I bought two large Mediterranean Fan Palms from Co--co and put them in pots. They are doing so so. But it is because so far the winter isn't too bad.

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Later I saw the one windmill palm I mentioned is actually about 5' tall now. There are taller, sheltering trees nearby and I water it. To grow this palm well here you need moisture, fertility and shelter - all the ones you see around that are stuck out in the open get beat up leaves during the winter.

Temperatures below 10 degrees F. may also be a problem. Not a plant for the foothills or mountains.

• schizac
    12 years ago

I've had Trachycarpus wagnerianus (sometimes listed as T. wagneriensis), Dwarf Chusan palm for three winters now. First winter: a bit of browning on the cental spear but it did fine the following summer. Last winter: November hit it hard and I thought it was a goner but it grew extremely well over the summer. Only the first frond of the season was damaged. This winter of course has been mild, so its looking great.

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Grown on the state capital campus in Olympia for many years.

• ian_wa
    12 years ago

I have been aware of a couple of Chamaerops humilis var. cerifera that have endured the last few winters with no damage in Olympia and Shelton. Based on my observations I would say it is consistently hardier in the Northwest than the usual green form that is more commonly available.

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Probably the same form I mentioned above, which didn't last on Camano at all. South-facing wall, another wall to the east, pavement in front, well-drained soil...