{{gwi:1069399}}

Comments (12)

• cascadians
    15 years ago

Wow!

• Mary Palmer
    15 years ago

LOL
    WOW Ian, yes indeed, you win this one! I had heard the Sequim area was supposed to get dumpped on! I hope for the sake of your plants it goes away soon!!!! Most of my down-under plants didn't fare too well with all that snow and cold for such an extended period of time!

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    15 years ago

Oh, wow. That's beautiful, but no thank you. We had just about an inch, enough it pretty as it was falling last night but I was happy to see it melted by mid morning today.

• botann
    15 years ago

It looks like Alaska up near Fairbanks.
    We ended up with about 2 inches here near Maple Valley. The Cascades got a new coat also. Looking east from the lower garden at Mt. Walker near Enumclaw.
    {{gwi:1069400}}

• sedum_gal
    15 years ago

Wow Ian,
    You got DUMPED upon!!!
    I've been shoveling the 'Partly Cloudy' off my driveway all morning... :o)

• ian_wa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, that was quite the trace to 2" of snow. This one caught me totally off guard although it sounds like Mary knew something I didn't. By the way all 9 inches of that snow fell in less than three hours between midnight and 3 am. I haven't even seen it rain with that kind of intensity since I moved here.

Glad you liked the pics... here are a few more.

{{gwi:1069401}}

{{gwi:1069402}}
    Magnolia grandiflora cultivar

{{gwi:1069403}}
    Cactus collection

{{gwi:1069404}}
    Potting table with nursery plants and soil

• cherylco
    15 years ago

Ouch! Beautiful, but......enough already!

I hope that it's melting quickly.

Cheryl

• Patrick888
    15 years ago

OMG Ian...I had no idea ANYONE got that much snow in this last event! And here I thought Sequim was the Banana Belt! I hope your snow has gone.

• ian_wa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The heavy snow here was (at least in part) a consequence of a brief 'reverse rainshadow' where upslope flow on the northeast side of the Olympics was generated by the outflow of Arctic air from the Fraser Canyon. It's about half melted now. Some areas around Port Angeles got as much as 16 inches. And I saw some cars driving around Sequim with about 2 feet of snow on the roof but I can't say exactly where they came from.

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

I figured it would have something to do with being in the path of cold air coming down the Fraser River. Sequim is "mild" in that it rains less. It isn't necessarily warmer than surrounding areas.

Stanwood-Camano also has low precipitation for the area but I had death or damage to multiple plants that would not have been so affected near Seattle.

• ian_wa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well I guess the good news is it didn't get below 28 degrees all week here, unlike the northwest interior.

I've noticed that if anything Sequim is a bit frostier than the Seattle area during periods of 'normal' weather (whatever that is...LOL) because cloud cover tends to be less. But that's all the same when Arctic air comes in and reverses our usual pattern of air flow.

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Wonder what that roadside spot near where you turn left to go towards Sequim after driving up the east side of the peninsula a ways that had manzanita, rhododendron, Nootka rose and Pacific dogwood growing all together looks like now.