Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Musa question

Posted by novita SWB.C. z8 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 16, 10 at 15:11

I left a musa basjoo outside in a big planter, wrapped with bracken and plastic over the top. I just uncovered it and it's a mushy mess, but the big one is still alive in the middle of the stem. should I cover it up again? Too early to leave exposed? I cut off all the mushy part of the stem. Don't quite know what to do with it now, if anyone can help I would be grateful.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Musa question

You should try posting this question in the tropical fruits forum. There are quite a few people who grow bananas and have more insight into your dilemma.
-Bo

o

In a normal spring it would be too eary to leave it unprotected. But this is suppose to be a warm winter - early spring so you probably haven't hurt anything. My Musa basjoo in the past has been pushing new leaves by March when we have a warm spring, so I usually clean them up by then.
I have stopped protecting it since this species is completely root hardy in the PNW.
There are plenty of people on this board that have and still do grow this plant, so you came to the right board.

o

Thanks, Issafish. I will see what happens. I kept one in a pot, inside, just in case.
I did look in the banana forum, everybody seemed to live in Florida.

o

Hi Novita,
I have a similar experience with issafish. I am in Auburn, WA, and have a big area filled with basjoo. They have been coming back for the last 5 years, covered or uncovered. It survived last year winter so now I don't do anything except giving them cow manure every year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here