Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Disanthus cercidifolius

Posted by wynswrld98 z7 WA (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 18, 10 at 18:35

Anyone growing Disanthus cercidifolius? I'm looking for a supplier in the greater Seattle/Tacoma area if you know any. Also interested in stories from growers regarding hardiness, special needs, pruning, etc.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Disanthus cercidifolius

Great shrub and quite underused -- had one in my old garden and and had to get another for my new garden :-) Needs at least part shade and evenly moist conditions.....not happy in our dry summers without irrigation. A little tricky to get established and slow growing. Develops into an irregularly shaped shrub 6-8' tall and as wide. I have never pruned mine (no need) and no indiction of any obvious insect or disease issues. It is related to the witch hazels and produces similar spidery-looking purple flowers in early fall but they are not particularly showy. I grow it for its shade tolerance and outstanding fall color. Hardy to at least -20F.

According to Michael Dirr: "Disanthus cercidifolius is a magnificent, but rare, plant that is worthy of the discriminating gardener's attention."

Many of the larger, better retail garden centers in the area have sold it -- Swanson's, Wells-Medina, Emery's, Valley Nursery in Poulsbo.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 18, 10 at 23:52

Long part of the witch hazel family collection at the Seattle arboretum. One planted with an intact field soil ball on Camano Island has dawdled for some years now, might even peter out.

o

Mine is growing in a tree form rather than as a shrub. I got it for all the reasons you mentioned - fall color, shade tolerance, slow growth - so I hope it's worth the wait. It's still quite small

My plant came from River Rock Nursery.

o

Another plant included as a Great Plant Pick for this area, so it should not be all that difficult to find in local nurseries.

o

Sat, Feb 20, 10 at 11:42

The Plant Locator - Western Region (2004 Black-Eyed Susans Press) listed 19 sources.

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 20, 10 at 13:18

I have three that I raised from seed. All planted in the wrong spot. :-( I was always going to move them, but never did. They are getting way too much shade for good Fall color. I am going to transplant two of them very soon and see how well they take to transplanting after being in place for at least 15 years. It's going to be difficult because they were planted close to Hinokis and Blue China Firs. I don't like transplanting with an ax. ;-)

o

Sat, Feb 20, 10 at 18:01

Well just cut down those darned conifers then!

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 21, 10 at 10:50

I'm cutting off their lower branches. It should help.
These pictures were taken a few years ago.

Disanthus Fall color

Disanthus and Blue Cunninghamia

o

yep, that's the kind of color I'm after!! They look alot like Forest Pansy Redbud fall color.

o

I have killed two, so I'm putting this one in the same category as the Briggs Moonlight Daphne... not meant for my yard!

o

• Posted by akebia 8 Western WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 3, 10 at 23:31

They are selling them at Vibrant Plants wholesale nursery, in Woodinville, but they ain't cheap.

Mine croaked, too, and now I'm leery... I want another one but can't afford the wholesale one.

Please let me know if you find a source of seedlings.

Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vibrant Plants Wholesale Nursery

o

I've had a Disanthus for about 4 years now. It was doing great, but started to wilt away about a week ago. Does anyone know what the problem could be? There is no evidence of critters or bugs. Can root rot do this? Nothing else in the vicinty is having a problem. Nearly half the plant is wilted.

o

That's what happened to mine before it went to the great compost pile in the sky. I attributed it to uneven (and probably not enough) watering during the previous summer. Maybe that was the wrong conclusion?

o

Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 10:39

Dying away of the top of a shrub in general WOULD often be a problem at the root. Which particular problem it might be in this case could vary with the specimen; to see if this species has any known tendencies in that area I would Google something like disanthus dieback etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here