Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flora2_gw

What do you know about peach NewHaven?

flora2
15 years ago

I broke down and bought this at Costco. I have tried to find some info on this (Raintree, web, etc) without much success. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments (9)

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Not listed here, which may or may not indicate they tried it and found it to be a failure on their site.

Regardless of cultivar none of these hot climate trees are really happy here, training against a sunny wall with a protecting overhang could improve results. Elsewhere on the site they report

"Productivity and disease susceptibility are the two major limiting factors in variety selection for peaches and nectarines in western Washington. Many varieties that do well in warmer areas are unproductive in the cooler marine climate of the Puget Sound region. So far in trials at Mount Vernon we have eliminated a number of poorly performing varieties. Some reliable producers have fruit that is not top quality. Showing good promise are several introductions from the Harrow, Ontario fruit breeding program, and some other new introductions from New Jersey, Michigan, and Georgia.
    Peach leaf curl, bacterial canker, brown rot and coryneum blight all attack peach and nectarine trees, so they are not good candidates for a no-spray orchard regime. Nectarines in particular can be subject to fruit cracking, which damages the fruit even if the cracks remain dry and do not develop rot"

Here is a link that might be useful: Mount Vernon Northwestern Washington Research & Extension Center - Peach Cultivars & Selections 2007

• tallclover
    15 years ago

I concur, don't bother planting anything that isn't peach leaf curl resistant, such a Kreibich (nectarine), Avalon Pride, Q-1-8 (white peach) or Frost. I've had good luck with these resistant varieties and others. I've posted a link of what they look like and their performance records so far.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peach Leaf Curl Resistant Varieties

• pepperdude
    15 years ago

Its really sad to see the peach trees at most dept/hardware stores and think of the dissapointed peach growers in the future. Normally they sell varieties not adapted to the NW. Peach Leaf Curl is the biggest problem here. I had a Frost Peach about 15 years ago, before I moved and I got some delicious peaches (but not a lot of them). I now have a 2 year old Charlotte Peach which grows great. Hoping for peaches this year. Any decent nursery will have curl resistant types.

BTW, not all of Costco's trees are poorly adapted to W WA. I did find a Stella cherry there recently which I just planted. The key is to know what varieties to buy and what to avoid.

• tallclover
    15 years ago

Pepperdude, I concur; I often wonder how many disappointed gardeners there will be when they buy fruit trees from big box stores, that are better suited for other parts of the country. A little research on the 'net goes a long and 'fruitful' way.

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

I saw a woman with a peach tree in her CostCo cart yesterday and thought of WSU's above assessment. But when I've looked at the fruit tree cultivars offered at CostCo here in the past they have been locally recommended ones.

The thing about peach trees in this area is even if you choose one resistant to leaf curl you'll probably still have to deal with the rest of it (see above). Stone fruits in general are comparatively problematic. Likely the kind of experience most who buy and plant them visualize at the time can really only be gotten here by locally proven disease-resistant apple trees.

• pepperdude
    15 years ago

bboy - I think that assessment is just a little on the pessimistic side. It is possible to grow some other tree fruits besides well-adpated apples with very little problem. I have found Asian Pears to be very easy to grow. Yes, you can have a little problem with pests and disease, but I found I really didn't need to spray my trees to have perfectly acceptable (certainly better than store-bought!) fruit. The same with many plums. They may have a little problem with brown rot or canker, but many, like Italian Prune and many Japanese plums grow delicious fruit without spraying in my garden.

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Many consumers are really thinking about the fruit only when buying the tree. Issues like pruning and training, spraying, fertilization and cross-pollination can be a source of perplexity. One of the most frequent questions is if a tree is going to bear the first year - even though the little thing is too small to produce much anyway.

That's because all they're really thinking about is getting and eating the fruit.

The new columnar apple trees - as long as locally adapted cultivars that don't get covered in mildew or full of scab, flavor up in cool summers are being- or become offered here - are probably the closest thing to what is desired. Not only do these develop as though pruned on their own they present the easily spotted fruit facing out.

I have noticed older specimens in yards having here having a scattered of fruit rather than being loaded. But there is more than one cultivar and surely they vary between themselves as well as from year to year.

• fruitvibes_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

The Redhaven is my all time favorite peach tree, with white flesh Babcock a close second. It worked well just north of Phoenix at 2000 feet elevation, although it supposedly needs about 800 chill hours, which means it should be grown in colder climates or places with more of a winter. It has a beautiful dark red skin and the inside is quite dark too. I have grown about 8 varieties of peaches, and I would not go without this one. It seems to be a very heavy producer as well.

• laurell
    15 years ago

'New Haven' is a suggested PNW variety from the 2001 edition of Sunset Western Garden Book. I was looking for it among a number of others when shopping for peach trees but ended up going home with a Dwarf Veteran Peach.