Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
spice bush Lindera benzoin

Posted by olychick WA (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 18:46

Hi, first time poster on this forum. I was at the Seattle Center this week and noticed a beautiful small tree that I assumed was a large witch hazel, but on closer inspection realized it wasn't. I finally found it online today, but have never heard of it before. I'm not sure if I've just missed it, or is this not commonly grown here.

Has anyone grown one? Know where I might look to find one? I assume my garden in Oly will be colder than the Seattle Center, but I can't find zone info on it, just that it seems to grow all over the east and south in the US, so I assume it would grow here.
Thanks for any info you have.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: spice bush Lindera benzoin

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 13:19

Yes, hardiness will not be an issue. To find a commercial source feed botanical name with price afterward to a search engine.

Otherwise, forestfarm probably has the biggest offering in the country most of the time and may have this shrub in stock right now - I haven't checked.

o

I bought mine at Lazy S's Farm Nursery. At perhaps 5 years old, they are about 8' tall. They are single sex plants, but I don't know whether the male or female plants have more eye-catching blossoms. You can probably find them somewhere closer to you, since the NW has such great nurseries, but this is one source. I like the form of your pictured one; mine grow in a more open area and are younger and in form are more upright. Here's a not great photo of mine before it was in full bloom.
From Shop May 2, 2013

Here is a link that might be useful: Lazy S's Farm Lindera benzoin is on this page

o

Thank you both. It was a pretty tree, but I am now curious why it's not frequently planted here in the PNW. Everything I find online says it's perfect for eastern gardens, but no mention of it in the west. Is it that we have similar but better suited plants (witch hazel) in the NW? Anyone here growing one in the Puget Sound area?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here