Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Acer rufinerve 'Winters Gold' vs A. p. Bihou

Posted by hallerlake (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 19:15

They have similar looking bark, but what are the differences?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Acer rufinerve 'Winters Gold' vs A. p. Bihou

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 14:55

Being a Sec. Macrantha maple the first will have thicker twigs, fewer branches, striped bark and bigger, less divided leaves. If you want the elegance of Japanese maple, you will prefer the latter cultivar. I've had one a short time, I noticed lately the tips of last year's growth are dead, somewhat marring the effect. When you choose a grafted Japanese maple you may often experience disease issues at some point. Bacterial blight, for instance is sufficiently common that at least one Oregon grower talks on their web site about how they bring their crops of Japanese maples into the overwintering houses early in fall, in order to protect them from the damp and cool conditions that favor blight infestation at that time of the year.

I'm thinking mine didn't harden off completely last year and lost the tips to frost, I did notice it was still growing late in the season. Not that I am seeing signs of it on mine now, but such damage can serve as entry points to bacterial blight later. A tall, long-established magnolia tree at the Seattle arboretum was lost to what was very likely bacterial blight after its tips got frosted during an early cold spell one autumn.

This post was edited by bboy on Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 14:59

o

I've only seen the A. p. 'Bihou' grafted. Is that for ease and speed of propagation or because it won't grow from cuttings?

o

I noticed the A. p. Bihou at the garden show were very upright. Is that it's growing habit or the result of growing conditions?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here