Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
normkeegel

Persimmon trees in Seattle area

NormKeegel
11 years ago

Anybody have experience of growing persimmons near Seattle (I'm on Bainbridge Island, if that makes any difference)?

Comments (12)

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

Adapted cultivars of Asian persimmons are your best bet. From the web site of Arthur Lee Jacobson > Articles > Trees That Merit Planting in Seattle:

Diospyros Kaki ---Kaki Persimmon
    Troublefree, colorful eastern Asian fruit tree. Glossy, bold foliage. Orange edible fruit in winter, resembles tomatoes clinging to the bare branches

A few Seattle area streets have older Asian persimmons that have grown pretty big. See Jacobson's book Trees of Seattle - Second Edition for their locations.

Local garden centers have regularly stocked these for some years now.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2013 Fruit Trees

This post was edited by bboy on Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 21:32

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    11 years ago

Saijo is the only Asian variety that Raintree Nursery says were able to ripen for them.
    From their website,Meader does well in cool Summers.
    I have not grown Persimmon though. Brady

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

Raintree is way out there, with a mountain right above.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

Persimmons do very well here. As bboy states, most local retail nurseries sell them. The issue is with getting them to ripen properly, not always a guarantee in our cool summers. Much like figs in that regard.......a semi-protected, heat reflective location is best. Fuyu is the most commonly sold type but there are varieties of Fuyu that ripen earlier than others. Look for Matsumoto or Jiro.

ps. Valley Nursery in Poulsbo will be carrying Jiro......stock should be up to proper levels mid-March or so.

• winsorw
    11 years ago

Just to share my experience. I live in Auburn and have one Fuyu, last year I have 9 fruits after 4 years of growing. I harvested them in late December when they were mostly green for fear of freezing and place them on windowsill until they turned orange. They were quit good. I planted Saijo and jiro last year.

• PRO
    George Three LLC
    11 years ago

i have one fuyu here in portland. it has never flowered or fruited after 4 years. i started with a good sized tree as well, grafted.

great leaves, great fall foliage. nice medium sized tree. responds to pruning decently well.

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

Maybe the pruning is interfering with flowering and fruiting.

• larry_gene
    11 years ago

In most years, the various American and Asian persimmons I see in Portland fruit well and ripen on-tree, another example of our summer climate advantage compared to Seattle.

• PRO
    George Three LLC
    11 years ago

don't think i haven't considered my pruning as fruit destroying. i am still on the high end of normal for no fruit or flowers though, so i am erring on the side of making a nice tree with easy to reach fruit.

• brandon_the_random
    8 years ago

Anyone know where to buy Fuyu persimmons around Seattle or a reputable seller online?

• Grisel Gallardo
    5 years ago

Brandon! Judy saw your yeii year old question but if you haven't found a Persimmon Tree Flower World in Woodinville has them every year. I got two last March/April.

The fuyu was about 7 feet tall and giant Fuyu about 5 feet tall. They both fruited and off june and are growing fruit. Still looks small to be able to tell if il get fruit or not this year. But I definatelly skipped some years of wait by getting a large tree on ther first place.