Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is there a Northwest Backyard Fruit-Growers Association?

Posted by eukofios 8 Maritime NW (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 16, 08 at 0:14

The title kind of says it. I see there is a California Rare Fruit Growers association, and Midwest Backyard Fruit Growers Association, and even a Pennsylvania Backyard Fruit Growers Association.

These all seem to be individual backyard hobbyists, not commercial growers. They communicate and even get together to share information, tips, how-to on grafting and propagation, disease control tips, pruning techniques, and starts of their trees.

Is there such a group of amateur backyard fruit growers in the Northwest? Specifically, Portland/Vancouver Area?

Should there be?

Thanks for information and thoughts, from an amateur backyard fruit grower who sometimes feels like the only one in town!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is there a Northwest Backyard Fruit-Growers Association?

Home Orchard Society

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Orchard Society

o

Thanks. I checked out the web site. I'll look into it further, hopefully it will be what I was looking for.

o

I think you'll be pleased.

o

There is also the Western Cascade Fruit Society. There are many active chapters in the area. Check out the website to see if there is a local chapter in your area.

o

Excellent! I've googled on the website and it is worth looking into. Thanks!

o

Thank you so much for posting this! I started a "food forest" in my yard last year and would love to share info and learn from others! Thanks again!!!

o

I know that there is a Tahoma (Tacoma) chapter of the West Cascades fruit growers' association that meets in South Tacoma. It is a pretty good club. What part of Washington State are you in? There is also a chapter that meets at Evergreen College, on the far left side of the Capitol Building.

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 29, 08 at 16:23

The far left side? Does Evergreen College offer an Ultra Liberal Arts degree?

o

Is anyone on this thread still around? I am transplanting for Los Angeles, Ca to Vancouver, Wa. I have been part of CRFG before and desperately want to meet some like minded fols in the area. Our family is looking to start a small farm. :D

o

i don't have many connections north of the columbia river, but i work in real estate and have helped people buy small hobby farms. i might be able to get you talking to a few people who are doing what you are planning on doing.

could you describe what your plans are? or its such a huge subject that maybe you want to email me. vintagegeorge at gmail.

o

Home Orchard Society is still the main active group in this area.

Farmer's markets and Subscription farming abound in the region.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here