Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Portland Currants at Their Peak

Posted by larry_gene z8/Sunset6 OR (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 14, 10 at 1:21

We were getting impatient with this plant, it got so large so fast, and neighborhood plants smaller or similar sized (but probably older) bloomed in past years. Year 3, we had one bloom cluster, this year, year 4, dozens.

Also pictured: Magnolia grandiflora, evergreen huckleberry.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Portland Currants at Their Peak

Red is better with naturally dangling flowers in our woods. What's up with exposed washed up pink flower parts?

o

I agree--I prefer the truly local native red-blossomed woodland currant.

The above image is color-accurate. No retouching. Notice all the other colors in the picture are what you would expect. The shadows on the fence were not cast by Bigfoot or UFOs.

o

right along the columbia around where it meets the willamette the white flowering variety is about as common as the red/pink. kelly point park is a good place to check them out. nice variety of the native.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 15, 10 at 11:24

Color ranges from nearly red to pretty much pink. One shown could be one of the named selections chosen for softer coloring.

Interesting that there is a lot of white ones in that one area, for all the wild specimens I have seen up here I have seen white only in cultivation.

I've read that there was also a place on the southern Oregon coast where white Coast rhododendrons were abundant, but most of these have been destroyed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here