Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Portland, Oregon: Blooming in June?

Posted by ericalady Portland, OR (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 18, 08 at 1:51

Hi,
I've lived in Oregon most of my life, but now that I'm planning a wedding, I can't remember what blooms when. We're aiming for June 21st, a popular time.

We live in Portland. I'd like to get flowers from local gardens as much as possible. And I'd like to plan colors (roughly) now, so that there will be plenty of options to coordinate even if the season is a little wet or dry.

I know we always have roses around that time, as well as herbs. Rhodies and irises are mostly done by then.

I'm wondering about blue and purple options, golds (especially something with that harvest-gold and brown combination that's so common in autumn), whites, and strong reds or corals.

Thanks for taking the time to check your scrapbooks and notes. If you have a 'blog, I'd love to see your photos from last year. I hope this topic is of interest to others for their own gardens, or for arranging catalogs.

If you have a steady supply of flowers in June, I'm posting a trade offer in the "northwest exchange" as well.

Thanks again for your attention!

Here is a link that might be useful: ErnieAndErica

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Portland, Oregon: Blooming in June?

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 18, 08 at 11:52

Go to a library or bookstore with a good selection of plants books and look at the lists in The Hillier Manual of Trees & Shrubs and Trees and Shrubs for Pacific Northwest Gardens.

o
RE: Portland, Oregon: Blooming in June?

June is a great time for commercial cut flowers, there are tons of choices. Many are locally grown "garden type" flowers beyond the roses, carnations and mums that are available year'round. Delphinium bella donna is available in bright cobalt blue or light blue. Larkspur in dark or light blue. Dutch iris in dark or light blue or purple blue. Alstroemeria comes in orange, red or yellow.

Many garden flowers don't work so well in wedding bouquets, they don't hold up. They would be fine in pots for decor but should not be counted on for a bridal or bridesmaid bouquet nor corsages.

Commercially grown flowers will hold up better than flowers just plucked from a garden in most cases.

(I was a florist for over twenty years)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here