Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
edging that lasts

Posted by garrai81 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 8:34

I am trying to find a product that I can put on the edge of a planting area (for shrubs) that will effectively raise up the edge of the planting area, so I can plant my shrubs higher, and they will have a larger volume of dirt to put roots into.

This area faces the street, so appearances matter.

I have tried 10x8 inch pavers on their side, but they are fairly thick, and take up more of the "growable area" than I would like.

Would a few sections of 8-foot board do well?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Mac

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: edging that lasts

probably out of your budget, but talk to a concrete/wall/masonry contractor for fun and see what it will cost to make a short wall.

i am of the opinion that you should go big or just do shovel cut edges.

o

I would dig a shallow ditch around the bed and throw the topsoil up towards the middle back of the bed. Plant the bed and then fine tune lawn edge. Then fill the ditch with mulch and then mulch the rest of the bed as needed.
You've lost some width, but gained a lot in height and depth. I think, all in all, you come out with more root area this way and no sloughing of material from the raised bed to the path or lawn because they're at the same level.
Lawn edgers have to be edged sooner or later, sometimes on both sides. I avoid them when I can.
Mike

o

What is the depth of the existing soil, that it would limit shrub root growth?

How many inches do you want to raise up?

If pavers on edge take up too much horizontal area, how big is the overall planting space that will not tolerate them?

If you are considering boards, it can be assumed you planting area has a totally straight outline and 90-degree corners? Most board would rot, the plastic/wood hybrid lumber is rated for soil contact.

Any lengthy (8-foot) board material would have to be firmly staked at least every 4 feet to prevent obvious bowing over time.

This post was edited by larry_gene on Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 23:41

o

Do you have lawn or a sidewalk bordering your flower bed?
Some people use brick. It's not as wide as pavers, and if mortared or concreted in will prevent grass from creeping in.
Rocks are useless, and in my opinion, look ridiculous and require more maintenance.
A picture is worth a thousand words.
Mike

o

Thanks. I appreciate all the comments.

I decided to use gray paver blocks, about 3 inches thick and 8 x 8.

They are not perfect, but for the 10 feet or so where I need them, they seem to work ok.

Mac

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here