Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chinese Fringe Flower � Hardy?

Posted by Woodburngarden OR (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 29, 11 at 9:34

What is your experience with Chinese Fringe Flower in the Northwest? Does it survive the winter? Thx

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chinese Fringe Flower � Hardy?

Not well :-) This is one of those plants that would benefit from hotter summers than the PNW typically enjoys. The lack of heat seems to allow insufficient ripening of the stems to be able to withstand our winters easily. Best results (and these come with NO guarantee!) will be obtained from siting the plant in very well-draining soil and where it receives some reflected heat -- against a south or west facing wall, adjacent to a concrete walkway, etc.

FWIW, the longest I've heard of a loropetalum surviving here is about 2 winters :-) YMMV

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 29, 11 at 13:58

I thought the question was about Chinonanthus retusus. Yes, the Loropetalum is a hot climate thing that dies back in our area. Other posters, from the southeast US have claimed it was hardy in USDA 7. Hotter summers ripening growth might account for this, but I wonder if such claims were ever based on long-term observation.

Commercial sources, of course, wanting to sell as much stock over as wide an area as possible have also designated the shrub as hardy to USDA 7. Doubtless this was based on actual hardiness to about 10 degrees F. In other words, more like a USDA 9 plant.

Due to this optimistic zoning problem with nursery stock a good general practice, when and until knowing otherwise is to assume a plant being considered is hardy to the top of the average annual minimum temperature range assigned to a hardiness zone by the USDA. So supposed Zone 7 plants will start to be damaged around 10F, "Zone 8" around 20, and so on. I even see some plants growers call hardy to Zone 6 getting nailed some years here.

o
Make That

Tue, Mar 29, 11 at 14:00

"unless and until knowing otherwise"

o
The Biggest One

Tue, Mar 29, 11 at 14:03

...I've seen is/was on a sunny slope in Kubota Gardens. Much bigger and older than a 2-year-old specimen. But not without signs of frost injury or other cause for dying back of some small branches.

Have not seen how it fared this past winter.

o
And Make The Other

Tue, Mar 29, 11 at 14:06

Chionanthus

Sure would be nice if posts here could be edited after they are put up.

o

Thanks. Just saw the replies today � for some reason I didn't get any email notifications!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here